Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Martha Stewart, again I have 10 bags of 20 lb cheap dry food bags. The shelter received a huge haul so they donated me some since I maintain a feral/stray cat colony. My cats LOVE dry food more than their raw meals. I mean, they go absolutely nuts when I take out the dry food bags and when I give them a few pieces they eat it like they've been starving all along. So do you think I can give them some as a snack? Like a fistful of dry food per day? Or do you think it would hurt their digestive system?

Thanks.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I don't think I would, atleast not daily, because dry food is so different compared to raw.

Maybe give it to them a few times a month? Whenever we tried giving kibble as a snack or treat our guys got THE WORST runs from it. So we use canned for treats and ZiwiPeak dehydrated raw.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I wouldn't either. Dry food is digested much slower than raw and most people suggest waiting twelve hours after feeding dry to give a raw meal.

Kibble is designed to taste good - like candy. But that doesn't mean they need it ;) How about some freeze dried meat treats instead - or like Muzby suggested, a tiny bit of canned food?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I will use Wellness canned food as a treat once in a while.

What other items besides freeze dried treats and canned food do you guys use as treats and snacks?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
In addition to PureBites (freeze dried), I give mine a new treat called "Go!". It's grain-free and healthier than Pounce, Temptations, etc. And my girls love Go!

·
Registered
709 Posts
I use ZiwiPeak dry food as treats most often. It's dehyrated raw, keeps long, etc. We use the regular dehydrated stuff (chicken/duck/cheese/fish) and they get cooked meat when we have it as treats. Cooked shrimp is a big favourite.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts