Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am a little bit wary about converting to entirely wet, so i want to make sure my kittens are on the best dry food alongside their mostly wet diet.

They are currently eating Royal Canin Hair and Skin alongside Purely wet pouches. I am considering changing them over to the Purely dry food also.

Ingredient comparison:

Royal Canin:

Dehydrated poultry meat, rice, animal fats, maize, vegetable protein isolate, vegetable fibres, maize gluten, yeasts, hydrolysed animal proteins, vegetable oils (soya and borage), beet pulp, fish oil, minerals, egg powder, sodium phosphate, DL-methionine, taurine, L-cystine, marigold extract (source of lutein). (highlighted some areas of concern)

Purely (senior as I couldnt find out the normal adult ingreds online)

Fresh Chicken (min. 26% in the brown disc shaped biscuit), Poultry Meat Meal, Maize, Rice (min. 17%), Poultry Oil, Sugar Beet Pulp, Egg Powder, Fish Meal, Meat and Animal Derivatives, Yeasts, Minerals, Maize Gluten, Linseed, Vegetables (Carrot, Pea, Spinach), Fruit (Citrus Pulp, Grape Pomace), Coloured with natural EC Additives. Total Chicken min. 40%.
Typical Analysis:

Moisture 8%, Protein 28%, Oils & Fats 16%, Fibre 2.5%

OR

Fresh Fish (min. 26% Fresh Salmon in the brown disc shaped biscuit), Poultry Meat Meal, Rice (min. 20%), Animal Fat, Maize, Poultry Oil, Sugar Beet Pulp, Egg Powder, Fish Meal, Meat and Animal Derivatives, Minerals, Yeasts, Maize Gluten, Barley, Oats, Vegetables (Carrot, Pea, Spinach), Fruit (Tomato, Citrus Pulp, Grape Pomace). Coloured with natural EC Additives. Total Fish min. 30%.
Typical Analysis:

Moisture 8%, Protein 28%, Oils & Fats 16%, Fibre 2.5%,

Martha xx

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hrm, the two brands actually look fairly similar, ingredient-wise. I'm not sure if you meant to bold certain things, since you said you highlighted areas of concern, but that's not showing up for me.

Things I'd be wary of in either are the frequent use of maize (which is just a fancy name for corn), and the use of vegetable protein in the Royal Canin (vs. using only meat protein sources). Also the unnamed natural coloring additives in the second two. I get wary any time there's an unnamed ingredient because even if it's natural, you don't really know for sure what they're using.

As someone who was also once resistant to remove all dry from my cats' diet, may I ask the reason for your wariness? Perhaps I can alleviate some of your concerns, as someone who has been there.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hrm, the two brands actually look fairly similar, ingredient-wise. I'm not sure if you meant to bold certain things, since you said you highlighted areas of concern, but that's not showing up for me.

Things I'd be wary of in either are the frequent use of maize (which is just a fancy name for corn), and the use of vegetable protein in the Royal Canin (vs. using only meat protein sources). Also the unnamed natural coloring additives in the second two. I get wary any time there's an unnamed ingredient because even if it's natural, you don't really know for sure what they're using.

As someone who was also once resistant to remove all dry from my cats' diet, may I ask the reason for your wariness? Perhaps I can alleviate some of your concerns, as someone who has been there.

I had highlighted the maize and egg powder but then I realised they were in both so i removed the bolding then forgot to remove the extra bit :patback silly me.

There is no ;one good' reason for my wariness really. My vet recommends getting them onto a 'complete' diet of one thing, and they recommend dry, but I do not at all want to feed all dry.

The breeder who I got my kittens from feeds their cats the hair and skin and raw turkey mince (I am still feeding the mince in small amounts)

I had issues when feeding the kittens wet kitten food, as it literally went straight through them, so they are currently on adult food. So I guess its a combination of worrying the all wet will bring on diarhea, and what the breeder and vet I have recommend. I also worry about underfeeding (though my chunky cats would disagree) and the ease of having some dry down all day is also an appeal...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I've heard kitten food, if it's a high-quality kitten food especially, can be too rich for some cats, since kittens don't really need special food, just more calories and quality nutrition to help with their growth.

I too was worried about my cats "going hungry" by removing the free-fed dry food, but really they didn't need it. As you say, your cats are a little chunky. Mine were too. When i removed dry from their diets, they slimmed down to a healthy weight. I resolve the worries about underfeeding them by just letting them eat as much of the wet (or in their case raw) as they want. If it's a high-protein, low carb food, chances are they'll be less likely to gain weight on it, and you can always reduce portion sizes later if they seem to be gaining weight from gorging themselves on wet food.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Saitenyo, how many times a day do you feed your cats? I've stopped free feeding, but now it seems like they want to eat every 3 hours; they're always crying to me when I go in the kitchen to get food for the human/s. And it's not a question of them not getting enough food, because when they do eat their canned food, they usually leave a little behind, so I know they're getting enough at meal times.

I can relate to not wanting to switch to all canned food! I've pretty much done it, but I don't know what my hesitation has been, either! Maybe because I've heard that dry is better for their teeth? (Although now I've read things that suggest it doesn't make a difference in dental health?)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Gloworm :)

EVO dry cat/kitten food is a high quality, very low-carb, grain-free food... one of the best choices, I think, if you want to keep some dry food in their diet. There's also Wellness Core, but I've found my kitties prefer the taste of EVO.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I feed mine twice a day, and let them eat their fill each time. However with kittens I've heard 3, or even 4 times a day can sometimes be necessary. A lot of people here recommend 3 times a day I think. My understanding is the reason for this is that kittens cannot eat quite such large meals as adult cats because of their small stomachs, but they still have fairly high calorie requirements to support their rapid growth. So their meals sometimes need to be spread out into smaller, more frequent portions.

I've actually tried feeding mine thrice a day, but if I let mine eat their fill in the morning, they're not interested in food again until dinner. So this system seems to be working for them.

But yeah, if yours are acting hungry in the middle of the day, maybe try offering them some food and see if they're interested? I know some cats will beg only when actually hungry, others will act hungry and then show no interest when you put food down, and others still will eat any chance they can even when not necessary, and end up overweight. Every cat is different!

It could also just be that they were used to having food 24/7 and are still adjusting from that.

And yeah, tooth care was one of the reasons I was originally hesitant to abandon dry, but everything I've read since then has my mind made up that it really does them no good, because their teeth just shatter it on impact, providing very little, if any abrasion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts