Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering -- when you guys change your cats over from dry to wet food, do you notice a significantly softer (and smellier) stool from your kitties? I can't tell if that's just the reason for my cats' softer stool... or if it's getting borderline diarrhea. How does one differentiate? All I know is that occassionally this past week, my kittens have been having mushier poo than usual... and wanted to know if this was normal or something I should get checked out.

They're still chipper and eating normally, so they don't seem sick... but I just want to make sure, as I'm going out of town next week and don't want their cat sitter being overwhelmed by kitty diarrhea. Should I starve them and feed chicken+rice after 24 hours? I saw some kitty diarrhea medication at the pet store -- it contains pectin & kaolin. Is that a good idea for me to use as well?

Any info you guys can provide would be great... or at least it would help cure my paranoia. :)

--brite

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Any diet change has the potential to cause diarrhea. Adding a pinch of rice bran or psyllium powder to the food should help. As long as they are acting fine with good appetites, probably not to worry.

In the long run, one my favorite things about canned food (or homemade) is that there is ultimately WAY less poop in the box. They digest it so much more thoroughly that there is less waste. When I travel and have to leave dry food, there is always a *ton* of cat poop to greet me when I get home! :roll:

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i found the psyllium powder. what would be the best way to give it to them though if i have to leave them with dry food for 2 days while i'm away? any thoughts? also, would acidophilus be a good idea as well?

-- brite

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
One way to get psyllium is Metamucil, I bought a big jar of original unflavored no additive one. I'm sure there are plenty other places you could get it in other forms too, health food stores, drug stores, etc. Be careful with the amount, a pinch will do.

No, I wouldn't mix it in their water. It gunks up and gets goopy and expands. Put it in their wet food, and don't put into anything if you're gone for 2 days, just wait till you get back to resume adding it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok sounds good. i found the psyllium husk powder at whole foods actually. nice & convenient :)

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
And cheap! Powdered psyllium is very inexpensive.

Metamucil is just psyllium but you pay a lot more for it! You do have to watch the ingredients; the regular flavor contains a ton of sugar.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
drjean said:
And cheap! Powdered psyllium is very inexpensive.

Metamucil is just psyllium but you pay a lot more for it! You do have to watch the ingredients; the regular flavor contains a ton of sugar.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I saw that AFTER I'd bought it (last year) :roll: and I bought that humoungous jar which will last a few hundred years.

Brite: Whole Foods, woohoo!!! We were so happy they opened one 15 mins away, before that we had to drive 45 mins to get to the nearest one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts