Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Hi gang! I would like to know what to give to my cat, hes a tabby, 2 years old, male, and he has been itching with his back claws. His front have been removed. And he has been cutting into his skin a couple times. Being winter, its dry skin, so what can I give him to make his skin hydrated again. Thanks for the help, Brady cat :)

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
If it is dry skin, switching to a higher quality food that contains Omega-3 fatty acids will help. Or you could add half a capsule of salmon oil to your cats meal once a day. This could also be a sign of fleas or another skin pest. Is the skin flaking like dandruff, or are there little insects jumping off of your pet :lol: ? Since it is winter it is probably just dry skin but the amount of scratching seems severe. You should probably ask your vet about this just to be sure. (Of course switching off Iams or adding salmon oil won't hurt either way :wink: )

·
Registered
865 Posts
Our dog had dry skin - we used to give him sardines in oil once and a while to help. I imagine the same could work for cats (although not a whole can!)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Your best bet for your first move, is to treat him internally as well as externally.

I don't know what food you are feeding now, but you can try supplimenting his diet with some oils, fish oil, Flax Seed Oil, extra virgin olive oil, etc... the list goes on and on. You can buy skin tabs with specific oils in them right from your vet and some pet stores, one I recommend is called EFA Caps, it's capsuls loaded with oils, very good for the skin and fur.
Make sure he is getting enough fresh cool water daily, and that his daily food diet has a good amount of fat in it, fat can have an impact on the skin.
And of course if it gets worse, bring him to the vet, there might be some other issue going on that would need to be determind by a skin scraping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts