Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The poor kitties will be distraut on Monday thinking I abandoned them when it gets dark in the house before I get home.

I leave a light on for them but it still screws up their schedule.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
It is stupid, it stays light in the summer until almost 9:30PM. I want to be able to go out and watch fireworks but then be able to get back home and go to bed in time to get a decent night's sleep before going to work.

·
Premium Member
28,617 Posts
I understand that, but for those who love outdoor activities, such as gardening, golf, etc., the longer days are a blessing. I wish we had long days all year! :) When it gets dark at 5-6 o'clock, it feels as if the day is over.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I used to find I would be tired a week after the DST went back to EST. So what I do now is just ignore it (I'm retired so have luxury to do so). Find I sleep a little later as it's the morning light that usually wakes me, and make my meals when I feel like it. Since then, my body doesn't feel as if it's slightly jet lagged like it used to. I do agree tho they should keep it on DST all year round. In the northern climes we get such short days from Nov. to mid-March, and a lot of people get SAD (seasonal affective disorder). When I'm starting to feel like I want to hibernate like a bear, I get out a UV light for 15 mins. a day. Works for me.

·
Premium Member
28,617 Posts
Hmmm...that might help me. I have been in a sad/bad mood for a week. I hate winter. Of course I'm cold all winter, so I'm already yearning for Spring. Yesterday was so cold I actually told someone I'd like to hibernate! If I didn't have my family here I'd be tempted to move south. The days wouldn't be any longer, but I'd be warmer. Sigh.....

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The days are longer in the south.

Sunset is 6:45 down here tonight
Sunrise is 7:44

Sunset where I used to live in Ct is at 5:42 tonight.
Sunrise is 7:25

The people are stup-it though

·
Premium Member
28,617 Posts
5:42? Not here in PA. ?? Not until about 6:30. Connecticut is very pretty, but I'm too cold as it is! I used to visit my sister there for two weeks very summer, and it's a picturesque state.

If I were wealthy, I'd spend my winters in Southern California and summers in PA. I loved California when I went there on vacation.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think Sherrif Joe and I would get along and he as more guns.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
I hate the late rising time more than the early setting time. On Saturday it goes back to normal.

Rising and setting times for the Sun in NYC.

Date Sunrise/Sunset

Nov 3, 2010
7:28 AM / 5:50 PM
Nov 4, 2010
7:30 AM / 5:48 PM
Nov 5, 2010
7:31 AM / 5:47 PM
Nov 6, 2010
7:32 AM / 5:46 PM

·
Super Moderator
26,538 Posts
I like when the time switches in the fall. The extra light in the morning makes it a little easier to get up. And I like the darker evenings because the screaming little ankle-biting neighborhood brats have to go in the house earlier.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I newver get up early enough for that part to matter. I'm claiming its so I can go in to work for 10AM and miss the rush hour traffic. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Banned
470 Posts
DST was supposedly created for the farmer population... which currently accounts for 1.7% of the US.

The latest estimates show that DST costs approximately $500 million annually to implement for the IT infrastructure in the US alone.

To put that into perspective, that would be like taking fifty THOUSAND 2011 Corvette ZR1s all parked in the world's largest parking lot, and then carpet bombing them from a squadron of B52 Stratofortresses.

Won't somebody please think of the corvettes. :wink

Or I suppose you could give food to hungry people or something.... heh. Honestly though, does anyone here honestly think that we are seeing a good return on investment on the cost to implement DST every year?

Its not exactly cheap.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You say that like blowing up American cars is a bad thing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts