Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Can you tell me how i can make my cat really comfortable when she is giving birth. We have given her a a box with soft towels and a cloth that she likes and she sleeps in that all the time and i suppose she will give birth in it aswell.

Please give me some information, I have searched for some but i can never find a full story.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The most important thing is a calm enviroment, no stress. And you need to be calm. Cats can easily adopt our feelings so if you are worried the cat might get worried.

I did everything by the book. I gave my girl a box with towels at the bottom and I put the box in a calm, warm and private area. I made sure there were both water and food close to the box, and of course a litter box nearby. She gave birth to the kittens in my quilt on the armchair :D I guess I hadn't done a good job with the box... But once I had moved her and the kittens to the box, she stayed there with them.

The link Jeanie gave you is full of good information.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Oh, yes, the best laid plans of man-- :D

The same thing happened to me, Lexxie. Although most of my litters were born in the box I had prepared, and I was there for moral support and assistance, I fell asleep about 4 A.M. I knew this was the night, but I dropped off. I awakened to tiny squeals coming from my closet, and knew I had missed the excitement. I felt quite bad, until a few minutes later. I felt something damp on my pillow, beside my face. Precious had brought me the last kitten born! It wasn't even dry or cleaned up. I was so touched! I got out of bed with the kitten, and went to the closet to see her wondrous accomplishment and give her the praise she was due.. She was such a proud mother-and rightfully so. I had no business falling asleep.

Of course, the closet was NOT the prepared place; it was her choice! I was surprised though, because normally she wanted me with her every minute, and if I hurried to the bathroom, she cried for me the whole time I was gone. (Siamese always tell you how they feel about these things!)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou for your reply's. I know that she may not have them in her box but its there if she wants it. She has a week and 2 days to go now and were keeping an eye on her. She is small for her age, she is 9 months old and i know that cats this age are usualy almost adult size. But my cat looks like a kitten. I hope this wont effect her birth.

Thanx again

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I hope there are no problems, but she is very young to have kittens. All might be well, but a cat should not breed, in my opinion, until she is a fully grown adult, about 13-15 months. I am sending you prayers for the little ones, but you had better get prepared, in case you have to care for the babies. Sometimes a kitten that young has problems with motherhood. My best wishes to you. Here's a link that might be helpful to you:

http://www.cfainc.org/health/reproduction4.html

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx, and i know she is young, it wasn't planned. We were about to get her spayed and found out that she was pregnant.

I will look on that site.

thankyou

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have seen more than once, a mama cat not know what to do for her new-born kittens. You may have the same problem. So I suggest that you be prepared to bottle feed them should this situation come about. Some queens are better moms than others. Although this situation is rare, I would still be prepared -seeing that your cat is so young.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts