Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you notice a seasonal change in your cats coat?

I know my horses and dogs are certainly looking scruffy (shedding their winter coats and growing in their summer coats) but the cat seems to be too!

He usually has quite a silky coat, and very minimal shedding - he was definitely 'fluffier' over the winter - he had some nice trousers going on! Then he went through a shedding phase over the last month and his coat, although healthy (not scurfy etc) just seems less silky at the moment.

No change in diet/health/weight etc

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
My cats are shedding/matting right now, too. It's a bad time of year to expect them to look their best. Your boy's coat will likely recover its luster soon enough. If not, though, you can try adding some fish oil to his diet and mixing some water into canned cat food to increase his hydration. That'll quickly put the silk back in his coat.

Laurie

·
Super Moderator
26,659 Posts
Cleo's blowing her coat. I can come home and see where she's been during the day. Little black tufts here and there. And there. And there, too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all - I must get him a brush!! He such a clean cat and usually always so silky I just never though to get one for him! (and he'll probably enjoy it!)

Weird really because I'm always scoping out the cats at work - which ones would appreciate or benefit from a good brush. They usually look like they are badly in need of one though, scurfy tufty coats, its very rewarding if they like it, especially when they start grooming themselves as a result.

Brushing I can do! :worship

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
Thanks all - I must get him a brush!! He such a clean cat and usually always so silky I just never though to get one for him! (and he'll probably enjoy it!)

Weird really because I'm always scoping out the cats at work - which ones would appreciate or benefit from a good brush. They usually look like they are badly in need of one though, scurfy tufty coats, its very rewarding if they like it, especially when they start grooming themselves as a result.

Brushing I can do! :worship
Brushing is a great way of bonding with your cat, I had grooming sessions almost every night, I'd read in bed and the cat's would come for pets and I'd take either the brush or comb and start grooming them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brushing is a great way of bonding with your cat, I had grooming sessions almost every night, I'd read in bed and the cat's would come for pets and I'd take either the brush or comb and start grooming them.
I might reconsider then :D if he were anymore bonded he'd be surgically attached to me!

Being serious though - I wonder if with brushing, its slightly better then just petting - like when you pick up the brush, in time they accept its your intention to brush them, and they like it, so they sit for it. Do you ever initiate it with your cats and they accept it?

Giles loves cuddles, but its always at his discretion. I mean, he's a lap cat, but you can't pick him up and put him on your lap (as with most I suspect) he has to choose it. Seems a silly thing to wonder about, when he spends 90% of time stuck up against me in some fashion anyway :D... but there is a difference.

Timmons, my family cat, will allow you to pick her up and 'accept' thats its 'cuddle time'...start purring, grooming and then grooming you - but she spends a lot of time outdoors hunting, and when she comes in she's very lazy... and I think its just laziness, she's gonna lie somewhere, might as well be on you.
She's also grown up from a kitten with young children who kinda enforced cuddles on her!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts