Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after many many many...many hours i've finished the top of the duvet cover. My resolve to sew all the pieces (duvet cover, dust ruffle, five pillows) has wavered a TON since i've got a major crick in my neck and i'm anxious to see everything done.

Borrowed a camera so I could take pics. This is a close up of the blue fabric i'm using. It's Dupioni Silk:

This is the piece before I sewed it all together:

The camera didn't really get the green color well, but it got the blue pretty good.

This is my design plan I created:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finished the duvet and one pillow case by hand, but today I broke down and went out and bought a sewing machine to do the rest of the pillowcases and the dust ruffle and curtains. After about an hour of frustration with the bobbun I finally got it working and wow its so nice! I do an hours worth of work in 30 seconds hah!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Absolutely! Unless you are showing someone how things used to be done (like The Woodright's Shop on ed. tv), there is no virtue in working that much harder. And the sewing machine does a better, stronger job. It doesn't interfere with your creativity. :)

p.s. That's a really interesting show. I love to watch it!

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I powered through til 4am last night and finished the dust ruffle. I'm working on the fancy pillow shams atm. Patrick bought me a brand new down comforter to go in the duvet as a gift for doing such a good job on it! It feels like heaven, we slept with the duvet for the first time last night. I'm in love with the sewing machine, its my new best friend. There were some quirks in the beginning I had to work out (like turning the thread holder the other direction so it doesn't keep catching on the little split and breaking the thread while i'm sewing)

The dust ruffle wouldn't have taken so long but I wanted a tailored look with those japanese style knots holding the pleats together and well...it was more messy than I thought. I told my mom about it and she said I had forgotten the KISS rule "Keep it simple stupid!" :lol: I thought straight lines and tailoring WAS keeping it simple but it turned out to be really hard. I've still got two pillow shams and a decorative pillow to make, then i'll borrow the camera again and post pics of my new bedding :)

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
So far so good. It looks really good. Now about that dupioni silk, I'm wondering if that is the type of fabric I'm thinking about. Is it not totally silky, but a slight roughness to it?

If so, I've been looking for duvet covers without the comforter b/c I like the option of being able to take out the comforter to wash the duvet. I haven't found just a duvet cover like that. :roll:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts