Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I just wanted to ask a couple of questions really... :D

We picked up Dylan yesterday and overall we're really impressed with how quick he has taken to us and settle in. We kept him in the living room for the rest of the day with litter tray/food etc then trnasferred him into our room for the night (as suggested by the breeder)

Anyway, after about 20 mins he settled to sleep but then woke us around 3 times throughout the night by licking/biting various limbs and apendiges (toes, ears, nose, my boyfriend's hair, fingers etc) and after each time settled in a differnt place (on my stomach, on my boyfriend's head, next to my boyfriend and finally by my feet).

In an ideal world he does have a familiar blanket which he lays on during day when not playing which I'd like him to use because I don't think I could take another night of him trying to run over my face :p

I need my sleep!

Any suggestions? I don't mind if he does sometimes sleep with us if he didn't keep trying to wake us every night until god knows when :p

Hayley

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
If you have a young kitten and are keeping him in your bedroom at night.. He is going to wake you up. I don't think there is a way to stop it. It was awhile after we got Tierney that I could sleep a whole night without him waking me up. In fact here 11 months later, he still woke me up last night, by licking my nose. I think if you are going to let your cat sleep with you, then you are going to be woken up. The only solution is no not allow him in the bed.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
That's one of the reasons why I don't want our kittens to learn to enjoy our bed. I have trouble falling asleep and once I do if I wake up I can't go back to sleep easily. So for my own good I'm going to try to keep the kittens out of the bedroom during the night.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My kitten did much worse... the first night he did his 'needs' both liquid and solid in our bed! We had to change our bed three times in one night, each time we did not throw him out because we thought would have been the last time... :cry:
I have to say he was very little, not yet trained by the previuos family...

Hope that will make you feel lucky... :p

anyway having a kitten in your bed is like having a baby. I rather enjoyed to be woken up by him... he was so sweet and little... Each time I could fall asleep very nicely...

Hope you will find a solution, but not put him to sleep in another room, there is nothing that cats hate more than be close in or out... they feel a house as their territory and if you close a door is not understandable for them... they suffer from that.
However I see that sometimes it is necessary, as for the lady above that has sleeping problem, so then you have to decide between your health and his need.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I will try tonight getting him to settle on the floor in the bedroom on his bedding... He can only jump up if his cat carrier is near bed (which it was last night because we were worried about him settling)

Thank you all - I will let you know tomorrow how we get on although I feel he'll meow a lot!

Hayley

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, last night was better, but not brilliant...

I told my boyfriend that he was not to be on the bed if at all possible but Dylan just jumped right up there and decided he was going to sleep curled up on my boyfriends back...

He stayed like this until 3:15am :cry: then he was awake and being a normal kitten again...

He did leave us alone a bit more which I think is a good sign, I left the door open and put his toys, litter tray etc in hall way to try and encourage him out there more.

Tonight I am considering shutting him out. Does any one have any tips to aid this? I don't want to be the evil mummy that shuts him out all night in th hall/living room :p

Hayley

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I think the sooner you start the new regime the sooner he'll adapt to it. Hopefully he'll accept that you don't want him in the bedroom with you at night. And when you wake up in the morning you greet him with love and cuddle and he'll look forward to that part.

At least that's what I hope we can achieve here at home once our kittens are home (22 hours and 40 minutes!) :D

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you sooo much for that :) I was beginning to feel like the only person that wasn't really wanting the cat in my bed at night :p He has toys that are always out in the front room. He also has some food before bed so i hope that will occupy himbefore he realises we aren't there.

He never destroys anything when we have popped out so he should be ok :)

Thanks again - will let you know how it goes

Hayley x x

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You'll be pleased to know that depsite the feelings of guilt and stuff that Dylan was absolutely fine on his own last night!

I finally got a decent nights kip, and my boyfriend to myself which is an acheivement in itself as Dylan loves to follow us both around :lol:

He's such a well rounded kitten, loves you and wants to be near you when you're here but gets on with it and does his own thing when you're not around :D

How lucky am I? :wink:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
So great to hear Dylan is doing ok on his own during nights. Gives me so much hope for the first night together with Sam and Suzy. Plus I'm not sure I'd be able to forfill my wifely duties if I'd have two cats in the bedroom watching. :D

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL So far Dylan has not been anywhere near us during a erm.. private moment! We are going to keep the bedroom to ourselves from now on I think :D

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I think any sort of noise or movement that occurs during "the act" may be kind of frightening. I mean, humans don't *usually* make those sort of sounds, "wrestle around" and generally cause havoc :wink: .

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
This is too funny! :lol:

I know it's the most natural thing in the world, but the fact that we have to "go around the topic" with other words than the ones we normally use is hillarious. Makes that part even more fun I guess.

I guess it'll be fine as long as the cat/s aren't to protective or the Mr in the house has to explain those extra scratch marks on his back the next time he's in the locker room with the guys. :D

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OMG! Don't even joke! When Dylan was sleeping on my blokes back he was kneeding and pawing at him as he purred himself to sleep :lol: I wonder.... lol

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
ylaenna said:
ROFL... :lol:
Haha all I have to say is that my cats are the most curious cats I know!

But anyways when I used to kick my cats out Sugar would be sooo bad, pawing and meowing like she was hurt. I don't know why my bf said to kick them out b/c they actually slept with us the whole night, no waking up too early or anything. Anyways, my solution was to just let them sleep in the room. They're angels now except when I wake up really late and they want their can :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts