Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed today while I was cuddling with Maddie that her ear (particularly her left one) smells like... a skunk would probably be the most accurate smell. 8-O It's not overpowering or anything and I only noticed because she had her face shoved into mine (it was "Mom's trying to work on the computer when she should be paying attention to me!" time). So I looked at it closer and she does have some gunk in there that is noticeable.

I've had dogs my whole life and had to clean their ears, so I'm familiar with that- I usually use cotton balls or paper towels and hydrogen peroxide and will just gently rub. Is it the same deal for cats? I'm not sure on if I even should clean her ears since cats are so good at taking all of that by themselves but I'd like to know what to do if I should be taking care of her ears.

·
Super Moderator
26,664 Posts
If it smells, bacterial infection, fungal infection or yeast infection are all possibilities

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Yeah, cat ears usually don't need to be cleaned (especially if they're indoor only) unless there's some sort of problem. Smell usually indicates an infection. Time for a vet visit...

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
i have an indoor only kitty, but unfortunately she is prone to waxy ears, so i do help her out with cleaning them. i mostly use just warm water on a cotton ball to help her get the dark waxy buildup out of the nooks and crannies and a little deeper in her ear that she can't get with her own cumbersome paw.

i tried a little half vinegar, half water mixture to help get the wax out of her fur, too. read vinegar and/or hydrogen peroxide is ok for cats' ears online, so i'm hoping that's right.

hope it IS just heavy wax for your cat, though, and not some other infection. probably is a good idea to check with a vet if it does smell. my cat's ears don't smell just because of wax.

·
Registered
351 Posts
ours are indoor cats and we had a problem with ear mites. Took two to the vet and I held while the vet used Q tips and really dug out crap and mites......they didn't like it of course. but that was the first cleaning...then we did the others and used a mite remedy and ear cleaner liquid. But, thanks for the reminder...I think it is something we should do regularly just to be sure and have neglected this.

Since there is a noticeable odor, I would have a vet remove some and check it out in case it is an ifection or mites...then go from there. If a vet isn't possible, at least get some ear mite/cleaner for cats and get down in and remove what you can....If it is very painful then there could be a problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked up "ear mites in kittens" on Google after everyone mentioned it and the pictures look exactly like what Maddie has, unfortunately. We're going to get some OTC ear mite stuff either tonight or tomorrow to give her some relief immediately and then see if we can get a vet appointment soon. We're both new graduates and don't really have the money for an impromptu vet bill but I don't want her to be in pain or uncomfortable, so I plan on getting her to a vet. The other issue is that we don't have a vet out here, so I'll have to find someone reputable and trustworthy- I'm picky about my vets, we've used the same one for our family dogs for the past 10 years. Finding one out in PA where we've just moved to makes me nervous!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts