Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 100% sure all our cats have them. We made appointment for tomorrow with a new vet (I know, I always have new vet....this will be my 4th one - I just didn't trust the others).

Dunga's ears must be really itching because she is scratching them all the time - to the blood... :( I feel so sorry for her.

I still don't know how to prevent ear mites and if they gonna come back? I did read stuff on the internet but it kind of didn't help much.... They were talking mostly about the way ear mites look like and how the vet has to clean the ears and prescribe medication.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
The medication usually is given in 2 doses about 3 weeks apart to kill any eggs that hatch after the first ones are gone. That usually takes care of it. Unless they are re-exposed (by an infected cat) the mites should not come back.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Dr.Jean. I wouldn't like to see Dunga suffering again... :(
I can't wait for tomorrow. Their ears won't be itchy anymore! yay!

·
Registered
192 Posts
i just went to the vet last week and they gave me tresaderm... it did wonders compared to the stinky $50 mite shots from the shady vet.

i think drops not only are more effective, but gives you a better sense of progress because I didn't know how long those shots were gonna last or if it had any effect (it apparently didnt).

·
Registered
237 Posts
Eva,

Good luck at the vet tomorrow... aside from the drops, hopefully they'll give you some sort of wash or solution to help with Dunga's ear sensitivity -- being that she's scratched her ear pretty raw, she won't react very well to the drops... and cleaning her ears may also worsen her ear sensitivity. After 2 sessions of drops, Tyra's ears were still a bit mucky, so I brought her back... and the doc sent us home with some Oticlean cleaning solution... and it not only cleared it right up, but helped her ear sensitivity as well.

-- Brite

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for advice.

My husband went to vet today - I was at work. They cleaned their ears and gave them something called Revolution Blue and to Maugli Revolution Mauve. What is that? Hubby said they put something on their body - I felt something on their neck-back area when I peted them. He also said they put something in their ears something against itching.

What shocks me is that they didn't give us any drops. They said, that we will get another medication (probably the same thing like today???) in 3 weeks and we will put it on their bodies. Anyone ever heard of this medication? I'm not sure if I got the name correct.

I feel very sorry for Dunga. Now, when they cleaned her ears, I can say the blood traces in her ears. They are so many there. She had to be scratching all the time - poor little thing.

This was our 4th vet and my hubby didn't like them - they were trying to get as much money as they could from us. Looks like we gonna go back to the vet number 3. :) I know it's weird....BUT why not to try, right?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Revolution is a treatment for fleas, ear mites and some types of worms. The Blue and Mauve (Pink) parts of the name refer to the different strengths of the medication - which your cat gets depends on their weight (did the older kitties get Blue, and Maugli got Pink?). It's similar to the flea meds Advantage and Frontline, except Revolution treats the other things as well.

Last time I dealt with ear mites (several years ago) Revolution didn't exist, so we did the drops.

My new cat, who was a stray, apparently had ear mites and received a dose of Revolution before we adopted him. I'm wondering now if he'll need another dose?

Anyway, poor Dunga! Did they give you anything to soothe her sore ears?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ospunkyo said:
Revolution is a treatment for fleas, ear mites and some types of worms. The Blue and Mauve (Pink) parts of the name refer to the different strengths of the medication - which your cat gets depends on their weight (did the older kitties get Blue, and Maugli got Pink?). It's similar to the flea meds Advantage and Frontline, except Revolution treats the other things as well.

Last time I dealt with ear mites (several years ago) Revolution didn't exist, so we did the drops.

My new cat, who was a stray, apparently had ear mites and received a dose of Revolution before we adopted him. I'm wondering now if he'll need another dose?

Anyway, poor Dunga! Did they give you anything to soothe her sore ears?
Yes, Maugli got different 'color' than Dunga and Yoda.

No, they didn't give us anything for Dunga's ears. :( My husband said they just put something in their ears to prevent itching. I think it soothes too but I'm not sure. Too bad I couldn't go to the vet (I was at work).

Thank you so much for explaining me about this medicine. Is it at least a good medicine? Will it work well?

We didn't get the second doze of the medicine (which we are supposed to use in 3 weeks) - we didn't have enough money for that. My husband will have to go back to vet to get it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts