Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to tell if a cat has ear mites? Mites were a recurring problem with my parents' cats and I've noticed my boys' ears are dirty but they don't seem to be scratching out of the ordinary or holding their ears at funny angles. I put them on revolution (I think? I got it from the vet, I don't remember the brand) and it said it protects against ear mites. We never used anything on the parents' cats and I'm concerned that I may not have applied it properly (But it's thirty days later so I get to try again tomorrow!). Does anyone have any suggestions on diagnosing ear mites?
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
18,378 Posts
Do your cats go outside? If not, they likely don't have mites.

Is the dirt brownish black and crusty? If yes, it could be mites. If it's waxy, then it's more likely yeast. Or it could just be dirt.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, they're indoor cats. But so were my parents' girls and they got ear mites like once or twice a year (they're 14 now).
It's brown but it doesn't really look crusty... I don't think... : / I don't know. Gahh my hypochondria is being applied to the little furfaces. They're supposed to go for their booster shots in December but I don't want to wait that long if they have mites.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts