Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few weeks Sparky has decided that he wants to be up before 5am and when he is up he sits in the hall and meows waking us up. Some mornings it is because he hears one of the kids wake up, but I can get them to go back to sleep. Other mornings he just decides it is time to wake up. Any suggestions on how to keep him from waking the entire house and allowing us to get some sleep?

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
what ever he is asking for dont respond to it at an early morning hour. Otherwise they will train you to meet their needs at ungodly hours.

My sisters cat would scratch the bed to get her to do what he wanted. He knew she couldnt stand it when he did that. She is out of town and Im taking care of him. Its taken me two weeks to break him of that habit. Now he just meows and stands by what he wants me to do. But it took me ignoring him when he scratched and firmly saying NO.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
I agree, if you start responding he will NEVER stop and the hour will get earlier and earlier.

You could give him his own room. A place where he can sit and meow all he wants and doesn't get let out until it's a certain time. Or you can just tell everyone they need to ignore him. You'll know who doesn't ignore him because that is the person he will start going to ALL the time. :p

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ody went through a stage of this... He'd lick us all over the place/any exposed skin (hands, arms, legs, feet, face, Daddy's head...) and crrrrrrrrrrrrrry at the worst times. We just ignored him and he eventually stopped. Took a couple of weeks, but he only does it on rare occasions now, but we continue to ignore him. It's just a test to see what your limits are/how they can train you as has been mentioned above. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts