Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here know of any reason not to spay/neuter early? We are going to be adopting a second kitten, and I was just trying to figure out the best time to spay/neuter would be. It seems as though as long as my vet is experienced with it, it will be easier on a younger kitten.

I was just wondering what the consensus on here was?

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
Shelters and rescues seem to follow the 2/2 rule, kittens have to be at least two months old and weight at least 2 lbs. My twinz were fixed at 9.5 weeks - had to wait for Cali (runt) to catch up in weight. Younger kittens seem to recover quicker, my girls were running up the cat tree and chasing each other the same day they got home from the procedure.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Does anyone here know of any reason not to spay/neuter early? We are going to be adopting a second kitten, and I was just trying to figure out the best time to spay/neuter would be. It seems as though as long as my vet is experienced with it, it will be easier on a younger kitten.

I was just wondering what the consensus on here was?
The only side effect I know of is epifysiolysis, a spontaneous fracture where the head of the hipbone breaks off from the shaft.
But this seems to occur predominantly in Maine ***** (probably for a part because they are so big) , there is evidence it runs in lines and by "early neutering" in this context they mean all cats neutered before 1.5 years of age.
Surely that is too long for anyone to wait to neuter their cat.

·
Registered
336 Posts
It's best done before the first heat cycle which can be 4 months or even earlier. I get my kittens done at 10-11 weeks, they are over the required 1kg by that point and bounce home from the vets like nothing has happened.

·
Super Moderator
26,670 Posts
Shelters and adoption agencies here spay and neuter cats them before adopting them out.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Both my girls were spayed at 7 month old. Both the breeders of my Meatball and Metoo don't believe in early neuture/spay, which I agree with them. I believe taking hormone off a kitty too early is not good for their development. I understand the reasoning why shelters and some breeders would do it at 3-4month old, but for the kitty's own good, if I have the option, I would do it around 6-8 month old.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shelters here spay/neuter prior to adoption as well, but I am getting a kitten from a random irresposible person :???:
He isn't going to have the kittens vet checked so the plan is to pick my kitten and take him to my vet at 8wks to get checked out and 1st shots. Then I will take the kitten back (hopefully) to stay with the mother until 12 weeks. I just called my vet and they do spay/neuters at 16 weeks, so I think that is a good timeline. I read a few studies about early spay/neuter, and I haven't found any proof of ill effects, since my vet recommends 16 weeks that sounds good to me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I, too, got my two kittens from said irresponsible people off of Craigslist. I waited until they were both 5 months. I can't imagine a vet being able to see the uterus on a tiny tiny 8 week old kitten! Also, I feel as though they need some hormones for proper development.

I also know someone who had to put her cat down at one year old due to a botched spay when the cat was 9 weeks old - I don't remember what it was but it was really rare.

That being said, I understand why shelters and adoption groups do it so early.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Shelters here spay/neuter prior to adoption as well, but I am getting a kitten from a random irresponsible person :???:
He isn't going to have the kittens vet checked so the plan is to pick my kitten and take him to my vet at 8wks to get checked out and 1st shots. Then I will take the kitten back (hopefully) to stay with the mother until 12 weeks. I just called my vet and they do spay/neuters at 16 weeks, so I think that is a good timeline. I read a few studies about early spay/neuter, and I haven't found any proof of ill effects, since my vet recommends 16 weeks that sounds good to me.
You have to do what your vet is comfortable with. I work feline rescue and we spay neuter all cats in good health once they are over 2 lbs. 16 weeks could be problematic in the sense that your new kitten is coming from "a random irresponsible person". Cats can enter their first heat cycle as early as 4 months (16 weeks). I wouldn't trust kitty to be kept celibate til then if mom's owner has proven to be less than responsible to start with:sad2.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I can't imagine a vet being able to see the uterus on a tiny tiny 8 week old kitten! Also, I feel as though they need some hormones for proper development.
It is a finer surgery, but experienced vets have no issue with it. The Winn Foundation did a study on early neutering and found no ill effects. It's also been done for over 50 years, so it's not something new.

Not altering kittens before placement is quite frowned upon here, I only know of a few breeders who don't do it. No need for kittens to have 2-3 heat cycles and then get spayed at 6-7 months.

To the OP 16 weeks sounds like a good plan, and good luck getting them to keep her for 12 weeks with mum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts