Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night we doctored our cat for ear mites..actually we did just one ear_ of course she hated it, no cat had ever at least submitted, that I know_these were 10 drops in each ear.
What I have never seen in other cats is that_post shaking her head, running, hiding, etc_she kept smacking her lips like if she tasted something umpleasant and going repeatdly to the food dish and water, spitting (not hissing or vomiting) something like expectorating..she was OK after sometime.
I wondered, would it be the medicine smell? Not taste I suppose or could she 'imagine' a taste b/c of the smell? 8O

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Not sure about the behavior you're experiencing, but once you determine that she's not having any type of adverse reaction...make sure you get the medicine in both ears. It usually takes a few treatments and the mites will just move over to the other side and/or to other cats if you have any.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i know that in humans, the ear canal is connected to that of the nose, as well as the throat... so it could very well be that the medicine is draining into the kitty's throat and tasting kinda funny.

are you administering an OTC ear mite remedy? the prescription formulas don't usually require that many drops... i can't imagine 10 drops being comfortable for anyone, esp cats who hate things in their ear. if it is an OTC remedy, may i suggest going to the vet so you can get the stronger dose of medicine, all in one or two visits... it's much more efficient than using the OTC drops... which i noticed had made my cats' eats hypersensitive. so i stopped, went to the vet, and it's all better now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts