Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure my cat has ear mites. He is an outside cat and I haven't given him any advantage since the beginning of last month because that was my last dose... I was going to get frontline spray, but it has been recalled... for now.

He has been scratching his ears a lot and been shaking his head. He has dark reddish brown or black debris throughout the ear canal and is a little bloody... Which is a sure sign of ear mites...

But what can i do to treat it? I have never had a cat with ear mites, because i always keep them on a flea and tick treatment. I don't want something expensive... So something cheap yet efficient.

I used to know a cat that had ear mites so bad that he had gotten a disease from it and because he was in so much misery and he was very contagious to other cats, he had to be put down... :( He was an old cat though, fortunately.. I want to stop this from happening to Smokey. :)

Do you have any recommendations for any treatments? Something local maybe? such as at a Petsmart, Walmart, or Target, etc.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
You can't know that it's ear mites without a vet exam. Dark debris in the ear may be dried blood, and that can occur anytime anything makes the cat scratch his ear to the point of bleeding. It could be mites, but it could just as easily be bacterial, fungal, or yeast infection. Only a vet can determine the underlying cause of the irritation, and only a correct diagnosis and treatment will resolve the problem. Any money you spend to treat your cat for mites is going to be wasted if he doesn't have mites to begin with, and using the wrong medication in his ears may make things worse instead of better. Anything that causes ear infection has the potential to also cause deafness if left untreated.

Your best bet is a trip to the vet.

Laurie

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay. I don't see any mites, and i do agree that going to the vet to get him examined is the best way of determining if he has mites, but i think getting a mites treatment would be cheaper than a vet trip. But of course if it would make it worse i wouldn't want that to happen. But what if i just got ear cleaner for him? Would that make it worse? it certainly would be cheaper and get all that gunk out. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
You won't see mites because they're microscopic, and ear wash can makes things MUCH, MUCH worse. If the wrong solution is used or if it is used incorrectly, it can cause very serious complications. No OTC ear cleaning solution is going to kill mites or infective organisms, so even if used correctly, it won't cure the underlying problem.

I know you want to get this problem fixed on the cheap, but the solutions you've suggested are likely to be both ineffective and more costly in the long run, both in terms of financial expense and in terms of your cat's health.

Laurie

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Alright. I'll talk to my vet and see what they think and if i need to get him checked up for ear mites then I guess that's what I'll have to do.
I have the money for a vet check up, i just don't want to spend money if i don't have to. :)

Thank you for the advice!! :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Smokey went to the vet to get his ears checked and he does not have ear mites, but he does have an ear infection.

The vet gave us a medication to use on his ears. He will be checked in two weeks to see how they are doing.

Thank you for the advice.

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
This sounds like ear mites. Your cat is displaying classic symtoms. Ear mites are serious. The ear can collapse. Then you have major surgery your hands.

Take your cat to a vet immediately. The most effective treatment is two shots of Ivermectin. The vet will swab a sample to look at under the microscope. My vet called me back to see what they looked like under the microscope. They are tiny mean looking parasites!

Your poor kitty must be so uncomfortable. The shots bring swift relief for them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Glad you went to the vet and found the root of the problem. And am glad that you are starting antibiotics before it gets too serious!

Best treatment for mites is prevention. I like Revolution as it will fend off mites, ticks, fleas, heartworm and roundworms! Also my vet mentioned that it is quite save and nontoxic to the pet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts