Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we just had a small earthquake here. The epicenter was in Edgefield, South Carolina measuring 4.4 magnitude. Monkey and Scout bolted off the sofa and hid. Weird. Ice, snow, earthquakes. I guess locusts will be next...

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
Wow, that's a pretty big one for people who aren't used to them.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think we would have normally felt it, but they're saying it was 2.8 miles deep, so that's why we felt it this far south. Monkey is not a fan.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Apparently we get 100's every year in the UK but they are so small we don't even feel them.

There was one a few years ago that rattled a few items of shelves and in 30+ years that is the only one I have ever experienced.

We are usually quite fortunate in the UK with regards to the forces of nature (although southern England isn't fairing to well at the moment).

·
Premium Member
7,857 Posts
Really?? Hadn't heard of this yet. We got one a couple years ago and it put the entire east coast into a near panic. I was standing in my neighbor's kitchen when it happened and it was unnerving. I lived in So California for a decade and felt some relatively big ones in the 70's, but here in SE Virginia it's really a foreign experience!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't heard of anyone being injured or any major damage. I have friends in Augusta, GA (which is maybe 75 miles from the epicenter) and they had stuff fall of shelves and rattle the house pretty good. Everyone's fine here, Monkey was just a little freaked out by it. Scout went back to sleep afterwards. ;)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This pretty much sums it up. ;) Clearly it was not a "big" earthquake, just really weird for us to ever feel one! And after all of the "apocalyptic" weather we've had lately, it just added to the weirdness...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts