Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm still doing much research before I get a kitty and I'm learning more and more from this forum...thanks much! :)

Question about raw (not saying I'll do it, but I'd like to learn in case I do!):

Is there an "easy" way to do it? With a can, I just open it and serve it.

Some sites I have found about raw seems quite a lot of work...cut up the meat, grind the liver, etc. etc...

I'm a bachelor and I don't even cook/prepare a whole lot for MYSELF, let alone my kitty....

Are there sites that sell "pre-made" patties or such (with bones, etc.) that I can freeze and then thaw?

(And thank you for not laughing TOO loudly at the dumb question! LOL) ;)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ted--my kitties loved the Nature's Variety food but you're right, it isn't an advantage for their teeth at all, rather like eating canned food. You could always feed that as a base, though, and then give them other things (chewtoys, chicken wings or anything else they like) to chew on a few times a week to keep their teeth clean!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fyreflie and AC, thanks again! :)

Question re: chicken wings. I know it's ludicrous (because I'm sure many cats don't choke on bones in the wild), but is there any even slight concern of domesticated kitties choking on the bones?

Do you just buy them raw (not sure if I can purchase JUST wings from my grocery store) and freeze them...and thaw them and toss it to your cat once a week for a treat?

I did read somewhere the danger is when the bones are cooked because that is when they become brittle....but that raw bones are more "malleable" and therefore less likely to choke.

But I would still worry like an Italian mother on her daughter's prom night! :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
But I would still worry like an Italian mother on her daughter's prom night! :)

LOL! That was a funny visual :D Our kitties haven't had any problems with the bones at all--they only bite off what they can chew, so to speak, I'm sure if they took too big of a piece (or we gave them bones that were too large/dense) the possibility would be there but their bodies are made to do it--as long as the bones are raw I think the likelihood of them having a major issue (fatal choking) is about the same as a human choking when eating food WE are meant to eat. Does that make sense? None of us eat only pureed food "just in case" something goes down the wrong way. We have a gag reflex for a reason (I always think of it that way, anyway!) :D

In terms of risk? I guess it's always there. The likelihood, though, I think is pretty low but you'd have to talk with some of the ladies who have been feeding multiple cats raw for a longer period of time....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Fyreflie! I figured the risk was low, but I thought I'd put it out there, nonetheless. :)

Glad you liked the visual. I'm grateful that although I'm Italian, my mom just had to raise a son! ;) (which is worrisome for other reasons! :p )

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
All my cats are fed a raw breakfast and have not had any issues with bone at all. They are on a 1/2 raw frankenprey, and 1/2 canned diet.

Even Sasha, who is now almost 22 weeks old and started eating raw at about 11 weeks old, has never had an issue. In fact, I would say most raw feeders have more issues with chunk size since if the meat is cut too small, the cat may eat too fast and regurgitate the food. As far as bones, cats have amazing jaw strength. As long as you work them up from small bones to larger ones gradually, you should have no problems at all. It seems scary at first, but believe me, they are made to eat through bone and tear through flesh.

If you are going with chicken wings, you need to be aware that there are 3 parts to a wing. The tips are softer and you should probably start out with that.

Once kitty can master the tip, it can graduate to the wingette. You can also split this part down the middle that way kitty has to eat through 2 medium sized bones separately rather than having to eat through them simultaneously. The drummette is the most difficult part to eat as the bone is the most dense, but in time, you cat will work up to this part as well. Slowly is the key here.

Good luck!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Do you just buy them raw (not sure if I can purchase JUST wings from my grocery store) and freeze them...and thaw them and toss it to your cat once a week for a treat?
This is what I'd like to do.

All my cats are fed a raw breakfast and have not had any issues with bone at all. They are on a 1/2 raw frankenprey, and 1/2 canned diet.
This was my thought. But I really don't want to get into the nutrition suppliment balancing, and I read here that 15% raw is really all you should do if you're not planning to do the nutrition supplements.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
...I read here that 15% raw is really all you should do if you're not planning to do the nutrition supplements.
With 50% raw and 50% canned, you don't have to do supplementation as long as you feed a variety of proteins and bone-in meals. The canned food acts as an additional assurance in case they may be missing anything from the diet (like extra taurine). I believe you may be referring to ground meat as opposed to frankenprey, which are meat parts (like wings, organs, thighs, muscle meat, etc.) fed whole or in chunks. The grinding process depletes nutrients, and if using ground, you will need to add supplements.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all very much for the added information.

You've given me ---- pardon the pun ---- food for thought. :)

I'll have to decide if I want to go raw or not.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ted, depends on where you are, my cats love Rad Cats (made in Oregon) and Feline's Pride (somewhere in the east coast). They are both in tubs. I like it that way because that reduced the surface area.

I try not to do ground diet, but depends on how busy I am, if I really do not have much time, I will add least cut up the meat in cubes and add supplements. So my kitties have meat to chew on.

Now one of my kitties suddenly do not like the homemade food I make, so I had to buy him Rad Cats and he is now happy. I, of course, hope he will like my cooking, well I meant my making of their food again.

Oh, and my 2 kitties were okay chewing bones (I only give them quail bones), and now they don't. They are being lazy. So commerical raw does a good job for balancing when I noticed they have been skipping bones for a few meals in a row.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I currently do 50% commercial raw (using Primal at the moment) and 50% canned. They were on mostly the raw for a bit but recently decided to be picky eaters so we've had to re-add some more canned to tempt them to eat it.

Without bone/meat chunks you do lose the dental benefits but still get the other health benefits if it's a properly balanced raw diet. I've been trying to introduce chicken wing tips to my cats for this reason, although one of my cats is an extremely timid eater so it's been slow going. My other cat crunches bones just fine but she hasn't figured out what to do with them yet.

So while the downside of the commercial raw is the lack of dental benefit, it can still be a great substitute if you can't or don't want to do homemade raw at the moment. I've been facing a lot of challenges doing homemade raw (lack of good sources of different organ meats and lack of preparation time) so commercial raw has served me well as a substitute for now. My cat Athena was having a lot of digestive issues on cooked diets (even grain-free canned) and the commercial raw worked perfectly to solve it so I feel good about it still being great for them nutritionally even if it's not as helpful for their teeth.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again all!

Koobe, I live in CAlifornia, so it seems that if I do decide to go raw, the Oregon company may be wise. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks again all!

Koobe, I live in CAlifornia, so it seems that if I do decide to go raw, the Oregon company may be wise. :)
Ted, I am in Northern CA, and I know there are quite a lot of places that sell Rad Cats. I buy their chicken and turkey. Rad Cats does carry lamb too, but since Panther is allergic to lamb, so I do not buy lamb. Rad Cats comes in 4oz size, so you can try.

There is a reseller for Feline's Pride that I buy from. She is in San Jose. Feline's Pride has chicken, turkey, cornish hen, duck and rabbit. I usually buy Cornish hen and duck for my kitties, because that is the favor Rad Cats do not have.

I know Primal comes in trial size too.

I hope you can find something your cats like. And like me and many others, we do find difficulties switching sometimes. But Keep trying :)

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
My store sells the big valu trays of them (for making hot wings I guess). I would always them into 3 sections (Tip, Wing, drumette) and refreeze them. The tips and wings in one baggie so I could pull one piece out as needed and the drumettes in another baggie since they were to big for MowMow to break open and eat. Then one night I'd make hot wings for myself out of the drummetes :p for dinner.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My store sells the big valu trays of them (for making hot wings I guess). I would always them into 3 sections (Tip, Wing, drumette) and refreeze them. The tips and wings in one baggie so I could pull one piece out as needed and the drumettes in another baggie since they were to big for MowMow to break open and eat. Then one night I'd make hot wings for myself out of the drummetes :p for dinner.
LOL MowMow I do the exact same thing with those big trays of chicken wings! It works like a dream. Just wanted to add however that if you happen to not like chicken wings you can just strip the meat off the drummetes and get another few boneless kitty meals out of it.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Eventually, they do work up to the drumettes. My cats eat through the bone with no problem. Well, everyone except for Sasha. He can only eat through the wingette at the moment. But, every once in a while, there is the extremely hefty chicken (with drumette bones as massive as a thigh), and they eat the base of the bone and will leave the top half, but for the most part, they can eat the bones without much fuss.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ted, I am in Northern CA, and I know there are quite a lot of places that sell Rad Cats. I buy their chicken and turkey. Rad Cats does carry lamb too, but since Panther is allergic to lamb, so I do not buy lamb. Rad Cats comes in 4oz size, so you can try.

There is a reseller for Feline's Pride that I buy from. She is in San Jose. Feline's Pride has chicken, turkey, cornish hen, duck and rabbit. I usually buy Cornish hen and duck for my kitties, because that is the favor Rad Cats do not have.

I know Primal comes in trial size too.

I hope you can find something your cats like. And like me and many others, we do find difficulties switching sometimes. But Keep trying :)
Koobe, I'm not too far from San Jose (more north), so I appreciate the advice and tip.

I did search their web and saw they also have a provider in Sunnyvale.

Should I go raw (gosh, that still sounds strange to me! LOL), I'll have more resources.

Thanks again to all of you who have helped me understand this better! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts