Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I generally feed my furbaby dry food. While at Walmart picking up litter and more food for my Wizzy the other day I decided to grab her some wet food as well which I was going to use as basically a nice treat for her when I felt she deserved it. That night I gave her a cup of the wet food to see if she would like it and of course she did. But there was a problem. After eating the wet food she refused to eat her dry food for 3 days! I was starting to worry about it until I put a couple of her treats in the dry food and she ate it. Now I've got her back on the cycle of eating dry food regularly because I bought a large bag of dry food and felt as if I was going to waste it as we were in the 3 day standoff. My point here and the question I'm getting at is has anyone else had a similar issue to this where the cat won't eat dry food after it has eaten the gourmet wet food. Also I am now scared to feed my baby wet food because I don't want her to do this again. Is there any way I can get her to eat both regularly? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Your fellow cat lover,
David

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Your cat is extremely smart and knows that wet food is waaaaaaaaay better for her than dry food. Dry food dehydrates a cat and can cause all manner of urinary and kidney issues.

Go over the Heath & Nutrition and check out the Sticky on why wet is better than dry.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
It's because your beloved kitty knew that kibble is poison to her and that wet food is infinitely better for her. Even the fake 'gourmet' foods that are sold in a place like Walmart are better than any kibble. That very very smart kitty was on a hunger strike trying to tell you that.

Now to make her even happier and keep her in top health you can look at some pet food stores or online at petfooddirect.com (a good source to search for grain free foods even if you don't buy it there) for some grain free brands that don't use by products, meals or fillers. Then she can eat really GREAT food and live a longer and healthier life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm. I didn't know wet food was better for them than dry but if I knew that I wouldn't have gotten this big bag of crap :( great.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Take it back...tell them your cat refuses to eat it and see if they'll take it back. Most food companies (at least the higher quality ones) will guarantee their food.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Right now Missy is rejecting (inpart) her wet food in favour of the dry. I initially got her dry as well as wet because I wsn't sure how much food she needed. If I work at the kitchen counter she'll come begging. I think that's because she was fed lots of human stuff by whomever looked after her before. She was overweight when I brought her home and she's a big cat. At times she'll pounce on the wet stuff. She'll make as if one flavour is a special favourite, and then go off it.

Now Guy, the outside living cat. I don't claim him, I just feed him. He gets dry food, but the other week I gave him a little left over sardine. He gobbled it up. So, as a treat I put a whole one out andleft him to it. I went down around an hour later and it was only half eaten and he was there crying for his kibble. He doesn't normally cry for his food.

Cats can be so fussy.

The usual thing, of course, is to feed cats every day (so that we can get some peace), but is that how they feed in the wild? I suggest that a three day hunger strike is not to be worrried at. Did she withdraw her affection? If you feed her the wet as a treat occasionally, she may well get used to the routine as long as you don't spoil her with giving it too often.

Zenobi got wet with some dry always out for her if she wanted. It was quite funny at times. We'd be having a great time with the Laser, and then she'd vanish. Shortly I'd hear the crunch of he eating the kibble.

On a note, I bought some EVo dry for Missy. She ate a little and now won't touch it. I have a feeling it's too rich.

·
Registered
351 Posts
and this:

Budget-Friendly Cat Food Guide | Care2 Healthy Living

I, at the proding of the wife, have almost switched entirely to canned food but dry is still available if they want it. and, she also ordered that their feedings are now twice a day as spring is here, windows are open, cages are occupied so they go from porch to porch (=more exercise). I guess she is right about that but since they are indoor only, during the winter they don't do much but what cats do best....nap...

And now the 'children' seem to be chasing each other so maybe they are beginning to accept each other as pals, not strangers in the same house. I hope so as Kermit needs the exercise.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh god, cat eating behavior drives me nuts. Always wasting food! I've had whole cans go to waste.

But isn't it dangerous to not feed your cat for 3 days? I've read it only takes 2 days in some cases to develop fatty liver syndrome.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Oh god, cat eating behavior drives me nuts. Always wasting food! I've had whole cans go to waste.

But isn't it dangerous to not feed your cat for 3 days? I've read it only takes 2 days in some cases to develop fatty liver syndrome.
I think there have been several rescues of starving cats reported on this forum who have seemingly made good recoveries, although there was one very tragic case, but that cat was on death's doorstep before rescue.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, cats in the wild often go hungry, especially in the winter. Furthermore, I'm not sure how one would check to reach that conclusion.

Certainly, days of starvation do not seem to affect humans, (although some doctors get frantic when a patient tells them that they're going on a fast and say that it will ruin the liver) , so I'm not sure why a fast would be harmful for cats.

Cats will eat if they're hungry enough.

·
Registered
31 Posts
After having one beloved cat die from diabetes and another from kidney failure, I can tell you - DON"T feed your cat all dry food. If she likes the wet, feed her all wet and give her dry occasionally to clean her teeth. If you have just bought a bunch of dry food, gradually switch her from dry to wet. As others in this thread have said, an all dry diet over years will ruin your cat's health. I'm kinda passionate about this subject because I had two cats die when I was an "all dry" mom and I feel I failed them. I did not know at the time that an all dry diet causes chronic dehydration, which puts major stress on the organs, causes obesity and diabetes. (It doesn't help that vets recommend it.) So don't feel bad if Wizzy loves wet food!

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Certainly, days of starvation do not seem to affect humans, (although some doctors get frantic when a patient tells them that they're going on a fast and say that it will ruin the liver) , so I'm not sure why a fast would be harmful for cats.
A cat hunting it's own food will never pack on a lot of fat. They only do so when in a domestic situation where they are being overfed. Consequently, their metabolism is not capable of processing energy from fat stores. In a starvation situation the fat will literally flood the liver and overwhelm it causing failure...aka fatty liver disease or hepatic lipidodsis. My understanding is that while it is possible for a cat to go into liver failure after a couple days of not eating, it's unlikely...especially for a cat that was otherwise healthy to begin with, including being at an appropriate weight.

edieparnaby...dry food does not clean a cats teeth. Most cats will swallow their kibble whole. And if they do happen to crunch once or twice...their teeth are pointed and just shatter the kibble upon impact. It doesn't get anywhere near their gum line to scrape off tartar. Besides...does eating biscotti clean your teeth?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I feed Milky a mix of wet and dry, half and half of each. I've tried feeding him on wet only before and he had the worst diarrhea ever! I think he wasn't quite used to the oils from a can of wet, so after 3 meals I decided to switch back to mixing the two. He's fine as ever now. Although I understand that dry isn't good for their health, it is rather expensive for me to feed him an all-wet diet. That plus I'd be wiping a lot of bum! haha

·
Registered
31 Posts
edieparnaby...dry food does not clean a cats teeth. Most cats will swallow their kibble whole. And if they do happen to crunch once or twice...their teeth are pointed and just shatter the kibble upon impact. It doesn't get anywhere near their gum line to scrape off tartar. Besides...does eating biscotti clean your teeth?
I agree. Most dry food is swallowed whole and even if they do chew it, it does not do the same job as flossing! But my vet just gave me Hill's t/d dry food because one of my cats has terrible teeth. This is new. I haven't seen it before. The kibble is larger and supposedly has some sort of gel in the middle which coats the teeth when they bite into it and kills bacteria that causes gum disease. I have been meaning to do research into cat foods but have not found the time yet, so don't take my word for it. This is just what I've been told. It is the only option for teeth cleaning for me, though, since this particular cat would rather die than have her teeth brushed!

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
It is the only option for teeth cleaning for me, though, since this particular cat would rather die than have her teeth brushed!
I bet a nice raw chicken wing once a week would be preferable to her than the dreaded toothbrush and do the job much better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bet a nice raw chicken wing once a week would be preferable to her than the dreaded toothbrush and do the job much better.
Really? Tell me more! I am all ears! The vet says my Nutmeg will eventually lose all her teeth so if there's anything I can do to help her keep them (short of brushing her teeth) I am open to it.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
I agree. Most dry food is swallowed whole and even if they do chew it, it does not do the same job as flossing! But my vet just gave me Hill's t/d dry food because one of my cats has terrible teeth. This is new. I haven't seen it before. The kibble is larger and supposedly has some sort of gel in the middle which coats the teeth when they bite into it and kills bacteria that causes gum disease. I have been meaning to do research into cat foods but have not found the time yet, so don't take my word for it. This is just what I've been told. It is the only option for teeth cleaning for me, though, since this particular cat would rather die than have her teeth brushed!
t/d has actually proven to be somewhat helpful, but the ingredients are so awful I wouldn't let it near my cat even in small amounts. The kibble is formulated to clean by scraping the teeth, it's more dense than regular kibble and doesn't shatter as easily so the tooth penetrates further. There is no gel inside.

Prescription Diet t/d food has kibbles that are designed to resist crumbling and are large enough to engulf a tooth as it bears down, enabling the kibble’s fibres to scrub the whole tooth surface.

The therapeutic benefits of Prescription Diet t/d pet food are delivered via the mechanical action of its patented fibre matrix composition, not chemicals or abrasives.

Prescription Diet® t/d® is formulated with the following benefits:
  • Reduce the amount of bacteria laden plaque in the mouth to promote systemic health
The problem with reducing the bacteria in the mouth is that there is good bacteria as well as bad. They cannot target which bacteria to kill, so killing all types could very well cause other problems.

Chicken wings are a great option if your cat will eat them. I'm looking at a product called Proden PlaqueOff, it's a food additive made from seaweed. It gets into the saliva and prevents the biofilm from forming, this biofilm is what allows bacteria to attach to the teeth. So it doesn't kill the good or bad bacteria, but prevents the bad bacteria from attaching. Note of caution...seaweed is naturally high in iodine and should not be given to hyperthyroid cats.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Just a raw chicken wing once a week. I just started with the wing tip (that first joint that people don't eat 'cause there's not meat) to build up his jaw strength. Then I added the next segment (with two bones). I don't feed the drummette since neither of them like it.

I've recently found a grocery store that sells raw whole quail, six in a pack so I picked those up. They each get half a quail per week instead of the chicken wing (as MowMow has a chicken allergy).

Raw bones are fine, you can NOT feed cooked. Cooked bones splinter and can damage your kitty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
t/d has actually proven to be somewhat helpful, but the ingredients are so awful I wouldn't let it near my cat even in small amounts. The kibble is formulated to clean by scraping the teeth, it's more dense than regular kibble and doesn't shatter as easily so the tooth penetrates further. There is no gel inside.
This will teach me to not trust what I'm told and read the package! The chicken wing idea is very interesting and I think I am going to try that and hope she will eat it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts