Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Misty isn't doing well since starting methimazole on Monday. She ate really well yesterday, but only half her normal portions today. She barely ate at all this morning, but ate better later...3/4 her normal amount.

I usually feed her 2 cans and 1/8-1/4 cup dry per day. She has nearly stopped eating dry now...loved it before.

Is she now eating enough? Her liver enzymes were slightly elevated last week when hyperthyroidism was diagnosed, so I am worried.

What kind of syringe is used for feeding? Where can I buy one? Do they look more like a dropper?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I am assuming you mean 2 of the 3-oz cans, not the 5.5 oz cans. That's probably about all that most cats eat. If she's eating on her own I wouldn't worry about force-feeding.

If you do have to force feed, you can ask your vet just to give you a syringe (without the needle obviously) or you can usually find nursing syringes at the pet supply stores. Also the pasty food works the best & you may need to add a little water.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Jen,

While it's certainly possible that Misty is having an adverse reaction to methimazole, I think it's more likely that her current inappetance is being caused by the Clavamox, which is notorious for causing digestive upset in many cats. You might just have to ride this one out until the effects of the Clavamox leave her system (which a vet once told me can take a couple of weeks after she finishes the prescription). In the meantime, it might help to buy some acidophilus or other probiotic and sprinkle a little into her food once daily for the next week or so to help repopulate the good gut bacterial that the Clavamox has killed off. You can buy acidophilus at any health food store, or you can buy a pet probiotic if you prefer at a pet store.

As far as syringe feeding is concerned, you can use any needleless syringe, or you can use a feeding syringe or even an eyedropper. You can syringe feed any pate-style canned food, though you'll probably have to puree it in your kitchen blender with a little water in order to get it smooth enough to go through the syringe tip easily.

Laurie

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I gave her a different brand of canned food this morning. She would never eat anything besides FF. I got Natural Life, which is much better than FF. She ate really well.

Yes, she eats two 3-oz. cans daily. Right now though, I am giving her extra treats, food, anything to get her weight up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts