Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my problem is that my Missy (1 year old) eats in Pebbles bowl and vice versa, now I need to switch Missy on adult food, and keep Pebbles on kitten food, how do I keep them from eating in other bowls, they don't eat a specific time, they have their food out all day, and I'm at work during the day???? Help please and thank you!:kittyturn

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you are feeding dry, then you might consider a brand like Evo turkey and chicken, cat and kitten, which is fine for both adults and kittens. I'm sure there are other brands that are nutritionally sufficient for both kittens and adults as well. Otherwise, you might need to change your or their feeding habits, which would obviously be harder.

I've always thought my kitties appreciate all getting the same food, so they don't start wondering if what another has is better and get jealous--they know they are treated equally.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought that kitten needed different food than adult cats??
yes jealousy, even if they have the same food right now, they both go in the other bowl to feed, I don't mind because they are on the same food right now

what about can food, (they have a bit of can food morning and evening) are they some brand for all cats including kitten??

what are the brands?? right now they are on natural (chicken soup for the soul (kitten)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yes, it used to be more frequently true than it is now that kittens ate different food. I'm not absolutely positive why (have forgotten), but I think it's because kittens are so much more active and need more protein. However, today there are any number of healthy, nutritionally complete, high protein cat foods out there, so that both kittens and adult cats can eat the same food.

As for canned food, I feed Wellness (Core and also chicken or turkey), Weruva (Paw Lickin Chicken, Nine Livers and Funky Chunky) and Evo (which also makes wet as well as dry, I use turkey and chicken cat and kitten formula), and all of them are acceptable for kittens as well as adult cats. Others here undoubtedly will tell you of other brands as well. I have four cats, and they always check out what the others are eating and have the satisfaction of knowing everyone gets the same.

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that is great news and will make my life easy, I'm looking to buy Wellness core dry and can food. thanks a bunch, I will let you know it my 2 girls like it.
thanks again :catmilk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm back from the pet store, I feed them the Wellness core, they love it... thanks!!

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I would start trending them into feeding times and not leave unlimited food down, the younger may need to get feed more often, cats should be allowed to get a little hungry, with set feedings you can monitor how much each one is eating(helping spot health concerns early) also weight control (if I didn't do this with jolene cat she would look like blimp walking on toothpicks...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how can I do that, I'm gone all day, this week is o.k. I'm on holidays, but leave at 8:00 and I come home at 6:00..........How can I manage??

·
Registered
520 Posts
Great news on the Wellness Core. One tip many here follow--it is a good idea to switch among several flavors of a brand your kitties like, for a host of reasons: not overly dependent if they suddenly change the formula, variety helps make cats less picky, adds interest to their diet, etc. Core may only have two meat-based flavors, not sure, but I would check on that.

As for timed feedings, many folks here only feed twice a day, once in the morning, once in the early evening. You can put down food in the morning, take up any uneaten after about 20 minutes, do the same in the evening.

While I add a third, snack at midday, when I have to be gone for the whole day, that's what I do, and they are fine. Hungry when I get home, but fine. And as tghsmith said, supposedly there is some evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, that it is biologically good for cats to get a little hungry before they eat. Of course, my Fab Four never, ever leave even a morsel after 10 minutes, so I've never had to pick up uneaten food, knock on wood!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts