Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone. casper has been acting normally the last couple days, but has not been eating as much canned food as he had been before. is it possible he is just going through a phase/break in his growth? for a while he was eating a half a can of wellness kitten eagerly, now he leaves quite a bit sitting there. i also have noticed his breath is a little funky compared to before. the only reason i notice the breath thing is because he wakes me by kissing me on the mouth... should i be worried or is this normal for an almost 6 month old kitten?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Did Casper change all baby teeth already? The reason why I'm asking is because my Meatball use to have a stubborn baby tooth that got loose but won't fall on its own, and she lost some of her appetite during that period. She only ate half amount (I guess the tooth was causing her discomfort). After the tooth was extracted, her appetite bounced back, if not even better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't know if he has lost his baby teeth yet... i'll try to take a peek today and compare to pictures. he doesn't seem uncomfortable, just no longer that interested in his canned food. how can i monitor his baby teeth/adult teeth? he is almost 6 months, so i know he should be teething.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
You can check if there are double teeth coming out of the same socket, if the gum is very red, and if there are lots of tartar. I couldn't do it myself because my cats don't let me pry their mouth open. So I had the vet checked them out. Bad breath could indicate dental problem, or simply the teeth are too dirty. I think 6 month is a good time to start training him on teeth brushing :)

Also do you feed different brands/flavors of canned food? If Casper has been eating only one or few varieties, he could simply be tired of them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
took a peek in casper's mouth and all looks well.
bought some wuruva today to try some different flavors and he gobbled it up! any other suggestions for what kind of canned food i can get him? i want to make sure he is getting enough nutrients.
i feed him wellness dry food also, but feed him canned food twice a day.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Wellness canned is very good food, unfortunately my cats don't like it a single bit. I mix it with other food so that they will eat.

Examples of good canned food are: Weruva, Evo, Innova, Natural's Variety Instinct, Merrick, BFF (also made of Weruva but fish based only), Before Grain, Performatrin Ultra, Fromm, Chicken Soup for Cat Lover.

That's all I can think of now. As of dry food, I don't have too much experience as I stopped feeding them dry. But I like Orijin best.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Also could you try giving Casper a piece of raw chicken (thumbnail size) and see if he likes it? Raw is very good for his oral/dental health. My cats love raw, it's their 2nd favorite (top one is BFF). If Casper likes it, maybe you can give him 2-3 raw meals a week.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the advice! i am considering adding some raw as he gets older but i'm afraid then he won't like regular food.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
You don't need to worry about that if you only feed a few raw meals each week. I feed my cats one (light) raw meal and two canned meals every day. They like raw better but they still eat their canned happily.

However, if you do a lot of raw, like more than half, then it's possible your Casper won't touch canned/dry anymore (assuming he likes raw a lot better). Because he will figure out that there will be better stuff coming soon :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts