Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to be writing about my dear sweet June again, but I'm not sure if I should be worried about her. We recently moved in with my parents and have been here just shy of 2 weeks. Since we have been here she had gradually started to eat less.

She is currently on a diet of 1/3 cup of dry food in the morning (typically about 8am) and 1/3 cup of dry food at night (typically about 5:30pm). (I know, wet is best, but I want to hold off on that transition until we move into the home I am buying... but that probably won't be for a month or two) Her vet said this amount I am feeding her is best to help her gradually lose weight.

As our time here at my parents has passed the amount of food she eats is less and less. At first she would nearly clear her bowl, now she is skipping one meal all together! She is still drinking well and she is going to bathroom like normal.

June has never been active, so I can't say if her activity level has decreased any. But, I can say, that after a very bad butt wiping incident she would only come out long enough to eat or go bathroom and she would go hide again under the bed. And then it came to the point if I was in the room when she came out to eat and I moved she would run!

I don't know what the deal is! I'm not sure if I should be worried or not. I don't know if the 2 dogs and extra people outside of the room are stressing her out or what. I just don't want anything to be wrong. :(

(Additional information, whether it matters or not: I just discovered that while I'm gone at work my mother has occasionally stopped in the room to try and talk June out, but she says all June will do is back further in the corner away from her. I also bought a laser pointer and I almost got June to come out from under the bed! She batted at the dot and shimmied to the end of the bed! We did this for about 15 minutes before she rolled over on her side and closed her eyes... I took that as a "human, I am done.")

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
i'm no dietician expert, but if she's at least still eating some and pooping and peeing ok, i might not be too worried. i don't know if it gives kitties too much credit or not, but maybe June likes the feeling now of not eating so much as she starts to lose weight. she probably realizes now when she is full and stops. our 9-lber, by the way, used to be 16 lbs. on her current diet, she just eats 1/2 can of wet food per day along with maybe 10-12 pieces of treats like Greenies.

and she'll probably get over the bad butt wiping incident and gradually come out of her shell again, but like anything else, it will take some time. as long as you continue to be nice and calm around her and stick with the routine, she'll learn that she doesn't have to be so scared anymore.

and my Angel does the same thing when she's done playing. after being overweight and inactive for a long time, she can't really take LONG sessions of play, but they're getting better. even 5 -10 minutes at a time for June right now is plenty of play till she gets in better shape. don't wear her out too much! heh heh. :yellbounce

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Sounds like a lot of transition moments for June. She may be feeling a little weirded out with all the new stuff, smells, other animals, people, and now a reduction in food. Give her time, she should be fine.

Also 2/3 cups of dry = 5.3 oz which is about the size of a medium size of canned cat food. That is the average range for an adult cat as far as canned. With dry, she has room for reducing in the future as her weight starts to decrease. When her weight goes down, she will become more agile and active, and finally more playful. Don't worry...she'll get there.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
dweamgoil took the words out of my mouth. :grin: i forgot to also say, and i agree, that June is probably just feeling a bit off balance with the moves still. i think the best thing you can do is to try to sit with her in that room when you get home from work - all night if you can before you go to bed. just let her know you are her constant in life and she can always feel safe and secure around you at least even if the houses change. it'll be so nice when you finally get to move into that new house, huh? hang in there, though!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. It helps settle my mind. :)

I typically try and do as much as possible in this room. I don't want her to feel abandoned in a random room alone.

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.