Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. Today as a birthday gift from one of my third grade students, I got a plant! Now, I have no clue how to take care of a plant, and I do expect that I will eventually kill it (at 25 you'd think I'd know how to care for a plant!). However, my main concern is, I know that in the past, when I still lived at my parents house, on the few occasions that flowers or plants were in the house, Andie would eat them. She would mainly eat the leaves. I would always shoo her away, but I know she'd go back if I wasnt looking. Is it dangerous for a cat to eat plants? This plant is all green, looks rather leafy, but I have no clue what it is. Should I keep it? I have it sitting in the window that is sunny... but that is one of Andie's favorite places. Or should I play it safe and give it to my neighbor for her garden? lol

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
It depends on what plant it is. Some plants are poisoness, others are fine.. I can't remember the link to a Web site that gives all the poisoness plant names.. Maybe someone else can help with that :)

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
AndieCat said:
......and I do expect that I will eventually kill it (at 25 you'd think I'd know how to care for a plant!).
That's exactly like me! Most of my plants don't survive... LOL And you know what? I'm 25 too!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
lol, I've finally gotten a lot better at keeping plants alive. I learned that plants that I need to water on a daily basis do a lot better because I work it into a daily routine. I used to kill cacti because I never remembered to water them. :wink:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rob thanks for the birthday wishes! As for the plant, I checked the bottom of the pot and there is no label saying what it is. I know nothing except that it's green and it has leaves. :roll: I dont really wanna take any chances so I guess I will just give it to my neighbor. I dont have a digital camera so I cant take a pic of it for you guys to look at. :( OH well... so much for trying to have a green thumb!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I put that Grannick's Bitter Apple stuff on my plants (Thomas was sampling all of them and I have a lot of plants). Unfortunately, he keeps tasting them. I think he's a little dumb. He'll go to bite a leaf, then back away making a gagging motion. Then he does it again on a different leaf, like that one will taste better. But at least he's stopped demolishing them.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Kitty's Mom Your cat sounds like something my cat Twinkie would do...hehe

My parents have fake plants all around and there is one particular plant that Sugar keeps getting to. I blocked it off totally now but it has spiky thin green strips. She gnaws at all of them and when she gets the chance she goes up there to break it off and bat it around on the ground.

So will this bitter apple stuff work on plastic plants as well :?: She will only do it to these plants b/c they are long wispy strips.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Well, Thomas chews ALOT and everything. I had one of those waterers with the jug on it that keeps the dish full. He chewed a hole right through the plastic and it is hard plastic. That's why I got him rawhide chew toys. He carries them around house and chews on them. Anyway, When I bought my freshflow fountain, first thing, Thomas decided to try to chew a hole in that. I sprayed some of the Grannick's bitter apple stuff on a cotton swab and rubbed it on the fountain (I didn't want to spray it because I didn't want the water to taste bad), Thomas has left it alone since then.

So, I figure it would work for plastic plants as well. Just spray it well and let it dry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts