Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am wondering - what surface do you feed your cats their raw food on? I've found that plates/deep bowls don't work - they seem to get disturbed by the non-flat surface. Plastic holds onto odor like crazy, so large placemats seem out of the question. Do you think it is possible to buy some sort of large aluminum sheet or something? Or do most of you use paper plates? I haven't tried those yet to see if they may accept them over regular plates/bowls, but I feel like it's wasteful because I feed three cats, three times per day - so that'd be 9 plates per day :/

Opinions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My cats don't have their "own" plates. I generally use my dessert plates and sandwich plates (the cheap colorful plastic ones you can buy in the summer) to feed the cats, and then I run them through the dishwasher with the rest of my dishes (it has a "sanitize" setting).

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I've heard from talking to various raw feeders on here that both very shallow stainless steel dishes or glass plates seem to work well.

Thanks for that link AC! I actually have been on the lookout for new dishes for my cats, since the plastic bowls seem to be giving them trouble, especially with the raw. Those plates look perfect!

Edit: Oo perfect, they have them in stock at one of my local Targets according to their website. Think I'll grab a set today when I run out for some chai tea. :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am feeding mine with my 5 inch plates, Panther like to pick food out of the plate and eat at the carpet right next to it. Maybe I should try those 8 inch plate and see if it works better.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am feeding mine with my 5 inch plates, Panther like to pick food out of the plate and eat at the carpet right next to it. Maybe I should try those 8 inch plate and see if it works better.
Sigma does this too, so I have been putting a placemat under his bowl. I have small, stainless steel bowls for when they eat chunks of muscle meat (beef/lamb heart, chicken breast, liver, etc.) but I haven't been able to find something non-flat that they'll eat their chicks off of so I've just been using large placemats :/ Sigma would pull his out of his bowl, and cleaning up squirting guts and brains from a chick is pretty disgusting. Thus, I need something nearly flat.

I'm going to try to find some (cheap), very shallow plates for them. Stainless steel would be great. The Target plates look nice, (I like that they're clear), but they struggle with deep bowls so I think the edges might be too high. My mom has a metal meat platter that would work perfectly - too bad it's in Canada and I'm in The Netherlands!

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P.S. I must say that deciding to feed our cats a raw diet is one of the best decisions my boyfriend and I have ever made, and probably one of my favorite decisions. Seeing them chomp away on food they were "meant" to eat is simply amazing to me. We brought home a large (~30cm/12 inch) mackrel on Saturday to see how they'd react and only the kitten really knew what to do :p (She is a very enthusiastic eater.) Once she got her face right in the fish (guts and everything - she's also a very messy eater!) the other two caught on. Then they ate their fill - the kitten actually walked away from it because she couldn't eat anymore - she had never done that before. My boyfriend also brought home some feeder mice for them one time and that was also great to watch. It is our hobby to buy them something "exotic" every weekend when we go shopping on Saturdays, it's so fun!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Sigma does this too, so I have been putting a placemat under his bowl. I have small, stainless steel bowls for when they eat chunks of muscle meat (beef/lamb heart, chicken breast, liver, etc.) but I haven't been able to find something non-flat that they'll eat their chicks off of so I've just been using large placemats :/ Sigma would pull his out of his bowl, and cleaning up squirting guts and brains from a chick is pretty disgusting. Thus, I need something nearly flat.

I'm going to try to find some (cheap), very shallow plates for them. Stainless steel would be great. The Target plates look nice, (I like that they're clear), but they struggle with deep bowls so I think the edges might be too high. My mom has a metal meat platter that would work perfectly - too bad it's in Canada and I'm in The Netherlands!

Thanks for the advice!
Actually the Target ones don't have very high edges. They look a little higher in the picture, but they're nice and shallow.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually the Target ones don't have very high edges. They look a little higher in the picture, but they're nice and shallow.
Oh nice, I'll have to look for something like that - we don't have Targets in The Netherlands :p Perhaps IKEA or Western Europe's version of 'the dollar store' will prove fruitful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Oh nice, I'll have to look for something like that - we don't have Targets in The Netherlands :p Perhaps IKEA or Western Europe's version of 'the dollar store' will prove fruitful.

Thanks!
Alas! Target is such a wonderful store. But yeah I imagine Ikea or any other place that sells dishes would have something similar. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
If I have a big enough house with an extra room or space, I want to make a raw feeding area. With tile floor maybe, and let the cats eat, drag and throw their raw meals there. That should solve the problem.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If I have a big enough house with an extra room or space, I want to make a raw feeding area. With tile floor maybe, and let the cats eat, drag and throw their raw meals there. That should solve the problem.
Yeah, I discovered this morning that even with the plates, they still drop their food off them. :roll:
I've resorted to just feeding them both in areas of the condo with linoleum instead of carpet so I can wipe up easily.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Yeah, 2 of mine eat in the kitchen (ceramic tile) and the other in the bathroom, which is also tiled. Occassionally they will eat inside their bowls, but for the most part, they drag the meat around a bit. I use disinfectant wipes to clean up the mess and mop often.

·
Banned
952 Posts
P.S. I must say that deciding to feed our cats a raw diet is one of the best decisions my boyfriend and I have ever made, and probably one of my favorite decisions. Seeing them chomp away on food they were "meant" to eat is simply amazing to me. ...My boyfriend also brought home some feeder mice for them one time and that was also great to watch. It is our hobby to buy them something "exotic" every weekend when we go shopping on Saturdays, it's so fun!
I can't imagine how or why, but watching cats eat raw frankenprey / whole prey clearly connects with us subconsciously; I've heard comments similar to yours so often it's darn near a universal feeling.

AC

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't imagine how or why, but watching cats eat raw frankenprey / whole prey clearly connects with us subconsciously; I've heard comments similar to yours so often it's darn near a universal feeling.

AC
Hehe, it's so cool huh?

I haven't been able to get to the "dollar store" yet, so I just used a couple of old dinner plates for their chicks last night. It appeared to be a success! I just have to keep an eye on them while they're eating to ensure they keep their food on the plate. Two cats are finished in about 30 seconds and Sigma takes about a minute, so I need to guard his food from the other predators :p

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Pumpkin and Simone sometimes drop their raw treats on the floor while chewing, but thankfully I've never had to deal with them dragging food around the house!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts