Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on how to stop Numly from eating so quickly? She scarfs it all down so quickly that she vomits after. Not only is it annoying to clean, but I can't imagine she enjoys throwing up. I also wonder if she is getting all the nutrients if she vomits so quickly. It happens 3/5 times she eats.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
302 Posts
When Kitty was eating too fast, I would tell her "eat slow" and she did. I did this every time I fed her.

A reason why cats eat fast is because of other cats in the house/apartment and they may not be getting their share of food. Are there other cats in your house/apartment? Are they stealing her food?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
If you do have more than one cat I separate mine to eat because there seems to be competition.
I also am feeding canned so I make little teaspoon sizes around a larger plate. It is harder to gulp it down.
I feed twice a day but if you can feed more often like 3 times a day that might help.
Also try different food.
If you are feeding dry, I am not sure what to say.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
There are a couple of slow eating bowl specially for dogs/cats that eats too fast. This is just one of them. If you do not wanna buy a new bowl, I have read somewhere that says you can add a ping pong ball or golf ball into your existing bowl, kitties will have to work around the ball to eat.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
At one time for one of my girls, I was splitting each meal into 3 different bowls so she'd at least have to take a breath in between bowls. Then I tried just giving her a portion of each meal 20 minutes apart. Cleo is in NO competition, but she eats like there's a freaking prize for the cat who finishes first. Then she runs to the bratz' bowls to see if there is a morsel someone forgot.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Cats are weird. People are more so according to their view.

I'm now feeding four at one time. All get canned food in their own bowls.

Two, old Eliza and newest Annie eat on a desk, 2' apart.
Marble, 3yrs old just sits on a credenza that holds our coffee, and capacino machine and she just sits and waits for me to dish out for the above two and then eats....no one disturbs her. We had nothing to do with this....she just does it...no fuss.. no meowing, crying.

Kermit, 12yrs, was relagated to the floor because of his previous bad table manners. He accepts that and being last....primarily to give the 1st two a head start. But he 'knows' stealing is not tolerated and agrees tho he will return and lick their bowls clean later.

Now, Annie has to switch bowls with Eliza for some reason. Old Eliza, deaf, and getting blind doesn't hiss or anything...she just goes to Annie's bowl. Annie sometimes looks at me before switching and gets 'the look' and retreats to her bowl again.

Thank goodness our meals are civil although if Eliza don't eat all of hers, we put it back in the can and on a cold window sill and feed her alone later. She used to throw up trying to gobble before kermit bugged her but relagating him to a separate spot a few years ago solved that.

·
Banned
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Numly is the only cat in the apartment, so she's not trying to race anyone to finish the food except herself. She gets dry food during the day to eat as she pleases and she never eats that too quickly, usually a few pierces at a time. I give her half a can of wet food dinner and I think she gets so excited that she just gulps it down. As soon as the can comes out she starts running in circles and meows non stop and the moment the plate hit the floor she jumps on it. I might try separating it into different areas on the plate, that seemed like a good idea. If that doesn't work mayor I'll only give her a tablespoon at a time.
She eats on the kitchen tile and then walks to the carpet to throw up. It's like she's knows it harder to clean.

·
Super Moderator
26,359 Posts
I refrigerate Cleo's food and then smash it against the sides of a large dish. Slows her down a bit.

·
Registered
189 Posts
One of my cats does this ALL the time when I feed him wet food. I used to give them wet food on a regular basis along with dry, but that one kept vomiting on a regular basis. I have slowed down a lot on the dry, and now he rarely vomits unless he isn't feeling well or has a hairball. I want to bring wet food back, and I am thinking of giving him his in very tiny amounts with a few minutes in between each bite so he doesn't go crazy with it. Don't know if that will help yet, but I am assuming it will since he won't be able to gorge on it.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Munch eats like mad, but he never vomits (I've had him almost a year and he hasn't once puked or had diarrhea) so I don't worry about it. Though adding water and making it soupy slows him down. I have a dog who chokes herself when eating she eats so fast, and floating her kibble in water, or cutting her raw meat into great big chunks she has to chew, slows her down considerably.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts