Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another note, I think my older (10) male cat may be sick. I feel like I'm paranoid, but over the past week, I've noticed the following symptoms:

* sluggishness
* lack of interest in food
* seems to be having some trouble "jumping up" onto a chair
* fur seems "oily" and ruffled up
* weight loss
* keeps on going into a corner and sitting there, staring at the wall

I've made a vet appointment, but it's for next week. :( I'm going crazy wondering if this is just natural signs of an older cat who is slowing down, or what this could be... Waah. :( Thanks.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
A vet appointment is certainly in order. You're not paranoid. How's his water intake? Oh, and what are you feeding him? Any changes in what you find in his litterbox?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's still eating and possibly drinking, though definitely "less." I just weighed him and it looks like he's lost 2.5 pounds since last month. Litter-wise, it's hard to tell, because we have 4 cats. :( I think he's still pooping... thanks for your response.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I'm glad I asked. The symptoms you described in your first post are very similar to the symptoms my cat had before he was diagnosed with diabetes. However, your answers to the questions I asked aren't consistent with diabetes.

I'm sorry I don't have a good answer on what it could be. Keep a close eye on him until the vet appointment. It could be minor, but you don't want to take chances. In the meantime, look in your yellow pages for an emergency vet just in case. Post the number on your fridge. If he takes a turn for the worse you'll know who to call.

And keep checking this thread. We have several extremely knowledgeable posters who might be able to help you.

Welcome to the forum, Riddle, and good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much. I'm glad I found this forum.

My vet just had a cancellation and can see him this afternoon. I am so hoping that it's just something minor... guh. :(

Thanks again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, everyone. Thanks for the comments yesterday.

I was waiting for the test results to come back before posting. Yesterday, the vet said the cat looked pretty good, all things considered, so I hoped that it was really my paranoia.

Unfortunately, there's bad news and worse news... the bad news is that the blood test and urine test both came back abnormal. The worse news is that they're not sure why. It's not "conclusive." Nnnngghhh... :( The next step would be the X -ray or ultrasound, which... guh.

We're going to do a short course of antibiotiics to see if he perks up. Poor guy,but he's definitely drinking and eating...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

Well, it's been a week, and I don't know what to think. It doesn't seem that the antibiotics are doing a lick of good & Peter is still drinking, but he's definitely not really eating. I've tried to give him his treats, turkey/roast beef deli meat, and he's just not really interested. Have another appointment for tomorrow, but I'm just... god. Should I try some baby food maybe? Should I force him to eat it?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I've never heard of anybody being able to force a cat to eat something he didn't want, so I'm not sure that's such a good idea.

As for the vet appointment, are they going to run the ultrasound or x-ray? And if so, what are they looking for?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I keep a tube of stuff called Nutri-Cal in my pantry for when my cats are sick and have loss of appetite; it's a high-calorie dietary supplement. I got it from the when Renton was just six weeks old and wouldn't eat. Maybe you could find some of it and try giving it to your kitty.

http://www.petcarecentral.com/425oztomnutf.html

Maybe it will give him some energy until you're able to get back to the vet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The vet thinks that it might be an intestinal tumor. The tests are completely inconclusive. If it IS an intestinal tumor, then the X-ray probably won't show it. They'll probably do another blood panel to see if there's been any change.

I'm so worried for my kitty. :( I couldn't believe it when he didn't even want his favorite treats nor deli meat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all so much for your support and good vibes. I really appreciate it.

Nautile, thanks for the suggstion about the high calorie supplement. I'll see if I can't find it.

I'll let you all know what happens. :(

·
Registered
135 Posts
Riddle - I really hope it's not something serious... Maybe your cat has a problem with his mouth or his teeth? Did your Vet check that? A friend of mine had to change her cat's food 'cause her cat has sensitive teeth and it hurt her when she ate. Good luck!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, they did check his mouth -- it's all fine in there. It's the blood panel and urine sample that are "abnormal." :(

Thanks, though, I really really hope it's nothing serious too... meh.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm at a loss. :(

The X-ray didn't show a visible tumor, but my boy had a 103.7 degree fever. There's no real "diagnosis" on what's wrong with him. He's not eating and drinking and we had to start force-feeding him.

I don't know what to do. I know the vet will want to do an ultrasound next, but I can't afford another $500 vet bill without a diagnosis. :( Does anyone have any experience with a cat that just won't eat while running a high fever?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've had experience with a cat that did not want to eat...he was supposed to eat a prescription diet, but I kept catching him eating his sister's food.

You could try encouraging him to eat by making sure his food smells - warm it slightly, mix in tuna juice - mix in a little warm water. Sometimes they can be coaxed to eat - talk to him, stroke him, sit with him, then offer a plate of food and wait or try to hand-feed.

You've mentioned that the blood and urine tests were abnormal - can you be more specific?

My own experience with similar symptoms raises concerns about his kidney function - but fever accompanying that is unusual, so maybe not.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts