Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alfie is coming home sooner than we thought! His mum has an infection of some sorts so the woman selling them wants to get them to their new homes sooner rather than later.

I have never had a kitten this young. I am a lil nervous and worried about feeding and how Alfie will be having been seperated from his Mum so early.

Also, when do they have their first kitten jabs? With all the cats I have owned in my lifetime my parents either sorted that or the breeder did!

Eeeeek!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
804 Posts
shots are usually at 8 and 12 weeks.

wow, hes young to be away from mom. I would suggest you do everything possible to bond him to you. sleep with him, sit with him while he eats, carry him around in a baby sleeper under your jacket. basically i guess, take over the mom's job. if he has someone else to pass his needs and desires for his mom onto, he will. if hes finicky at first, dont give him a chance. plus, in the end, his bond to you will be amazingly strong. Sophie had a tramatic kittenhood and i took her with me in my jacket and slept with her in bed, her and I are inseperable and shes an amazing cat now. never developed any of the young seperation issues that some cats get.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,138 Posts
I would worry about what kind of infection the mother kitty has. You have a right to know details. Is this kitten being vet checked with a well baby check up? How old is this kitten?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
18,409 Posts
I would definitely want to know what kind of infection the mother cat has. The last thing you want to do is bring a kitten exposed to something contagious home to Dylan. No reputable breeder should ever want to send a 4 week old kitten to a new home (I assume you've used European convention of day/month/year and he was born on April 2). In fact the cat registry organizations in the US require that registered cats stay with their mother until 12 weeks. I would be very concerned about this....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry - I should have said in my OP. The Mum has a milk infection. I had a quick search to see what I could find on google about it but not much came up. I am having the kitten seperated from Dylan initally and will get him vet checked asap.

As far as seperating the kittens from mum I can't really speculate as to why she is not doing this, maybe she is not able. It's her home and it's her Mummy cat. I can't force anyone to make a decision on what they should do in this situation. There are no laws or regulations in the UK saying she needs to keep them to a certain age as far as I am aware.

Right now, all I am concerned about is our new addition. It's not ideal, and I am well aware of that, but please, I am asking how to make this transition easier, not judging anyone involved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Willow771 said:
shots are usually at 8 and 12 weeks.

wow, hes young to be away from mom. I would suggest you do everything possible to bond him to you. sleep with him, sit with him while he eats, carry him around in a baby sleeper under your jacket. basically i guess, take over the mom's job. if he has someone else to pass his needs and desires for his mom onto, he will. if hes finicky at first, dont give him a chance. plus, in the end, his bond to you will be amazingly strong. Sophie had a tramatic kittenhood and i took her with me in my jacket and slept with her in bed, her and I are inseperable and shes an amazing cat now. never developed any of the young seperation issues that some cats get.
Thank you for that information. Luckily, my boyfriend is in a position to be with lil one a lot as she has just finished a project and is now off until the end of June!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
26,352 Posts
doodlebug said:
(I assume you've used European convention of day/month/year and he was born on April 2). ....
Thank you for clearing that up. I was so confused by this thread, thinking the kitten was older than mine when they came home. :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
marie73 said:
doodlebug said:
(I assume you've used European convention of day/month/year and he was born on April 2). ....
Thank you for clearing that up. I was so confused by this thread, thinking the kitten was older than mine when they came home. :oops:
:lol: It's weird the little things that are different isn't it.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
26,352 Posts
It is! 8O

I'm glad your boyfriend will be able to be with Alfie, the itty bitty kitty. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
marie73 said:
It is! 8O

I'm glad your boyfriend will be able to be with Alfie, the itty bitty kitty. :D
Me too. I would have severly panicked if he didn't have so much time to be with him.

Expect itty bitty kitteh piccies!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, he is home! It seems she allocated us a kitten for the slightly older litter, not the newest as I was expecting. He was born on the 27th march, so is exactly 5 weeks old.

He is on solids with a bit of encouragement. Same with the litter tray. Right now he is in our spare bedroom with my boyfriend. I let Dylan have a breif sniff and the big wuss is scared of him! :roll: He had a little hiss, so introductions may be a lil slow. He has been wormed and has a vet check tomorrow.

He seems to be very similar to Dylan when he was a kitten, quite gentle and not bolshy and loves cuddles!

I will post pics when he is settled. I am going to go and pay Dylan some attention.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,333 Posts
my only concern with getting him so young is it may lead to you having to deal with lots of behavioral issues as he gets older because there are so many cruicial things left to learn by mom and at the least, his littermates.

Hopefully his big brother will teach him how to be a good boy!

Looking forward to pictures! :)
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top