Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOW 8O

There was a dying Magpie in our back yard, so I took it to the Wildlife Care Assiation yesterday, and they said the bird had ALL the signs of West Nile Virus. Poor little birdie :cry:

Abhay

·
Registered
3 Posts
:( Poor bird, but make sure all your "at risk" animals are protected! We have tons of magpies around here, but I have yet to see one dying.

Good luck

·
Registered
637 Posts
Are magpies the same as crows? Crows are more susceptible to disease and often carriers of diseases such as West Nile. If you see lots of crows in your vicinity and West Nile is known to be in your area take lots of precautions!

Take precautions against West Nile by avoiding exposure in the morning and evening when mosquitos are active, wearing long-sleeve shirts and long pants to avoid bites, using repellant, and preventing mosquito breeding by not allowing water to stand in puddles or even in plant saucers.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rescue told us that Magpies and Crows are most susceptible to West Nile Virus. They said if you see a dying bird, pick it up with gloves and put it in a dark box.

If the bird has West Nile, it will die quickly. If you find one bird that you think has West Nile, you will see more dying birds :cry:

I found a crow yesterday that had it, but since I wasn't in someone else’s car, I couldn't pick it up. I went back later to get him and he was gone.

THE MOST SUSEPTABLE ANIMAL TO WEST NILE VIRUS IS HORSES. IF YOU HAVE A HORSE, MAKE SURE IT IS VACCINATED AGAINST WEST NILE VIRUS!!!

Take Care,
Abhay

P.S. Magpies are the black & white birds with a yellow beak(and are really annoying :D) . Crows are the all black, large, smart birds.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
*shudders*

I have never actually seen an animal with it personally, but a few weeks ago, it was found in some birds about 5 miles from here 8O 8O 8O 8O

Whereabouts in CA are you?

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm starting to get scared...

I was thinking to myself how odd it was to see so many dead crows at the side of the road this year. I hope to God it's not coming and that's why I've been seeing them. I think I've seen 6 this year? It's odd to see them struck by cars as they're so smart.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Oh - and Magpies are commonly called blackbirds I believe. Like Grackles, they're black and Blue Jay sized (and related I believe). Actually, jays are related to crows too (so I guess it technically is a small crow - hehe).

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
This is a little off-topic, but I think it's interesting. One of my co-workers is a carrier of the West Nile Virus. He has it, but it doesn't affect him. We call him Typhoid Kevin.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am in the Sacramento Area. About a month ago everyone got a "There is West Nile Virus In Your Area!" card in the mail 8O

When you see one dead/dying Magpie or Crow, there is going to be more :cry:

Annissa, I hate to say this....but how interesting : D I didn't know they could be a carrier, but not be affected by it.

It is a good thing West Nile doesn't hurt cats!

Take Care,
Abhay

·
Registered
637 Posts
Some people can get it and not die from it. Only something like 2% of the population who will get it will die. The others will get mild like flu symptoms from what I understand. It doesn't transfer from human to human.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts