Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get really nice fresh eggs from the Amish neighbor, and I want to try adding in an egg or two to my mix since I'm trying chicken now. I've read that some "lightly cook" the white because the white contains avidin, that blocks absorption of the B vitamins. My question is, what does "lightly cook" mean........what's your procedure?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would not cook an egg because of the whole "the whites contain avidine which binds biotin" story. There is so much biotin in the yolk that as long as you feed the whole egg your cats will be fine. If you whisk the egg the cats will be guaranteed to get a bit of both.
Of course you can cook the egg a bit but then you will lose some other nutrients too.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I agree. I would just serve it raw. Sometimes my older sister would wisk the egg when she gives her cats egg, but I wouldn't cook it.

·
Super Moderator
26,394 Posts
I saw the title of this thread and I thought one of your bunnies had laid a Cadbury egg! :grin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I give all four of mine an organic pastured raw chicken egg each once in awhile, or on top of chunks of meat. Whisking hard or cooking can destroy valuable nutrients. I also throw in a few shells, which two of them will crunch on for a bit. The dog gets the leftover shells, he loves them!

When I first gave raw eggs I had to break the yolks and stir a little, adding a pinch of flaxseed on top but now they gobble it up just fine without me needing to do anything other than crack it in a bowl.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I also feed my girls their eggs raw. They get a quail egg broken over their meat twice a week, and they just love to lick them up.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, eggs didn't go over to well. For some reason, the eggs make them itch. They shared a yolk yesterday morning, and by today they were itching again. It's ok, I'm content with being able to only feed the chicken meat, but I don't quite get why the eggs would make them itch, and not the meat itself. Especially since they are Amish pasture fed/raised chickens that the eggs came from.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts