Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do to Chaos' and my battle w/ static, we are looking for ways to reduce this problem w/ her fur. Where do eggs come in you ask. Well, I was once told that if you fed dogs raw eggs w/ there food occasionally helped to keep their skin and coat healthy. Is this true? and if it is can/would it work w/ cats if they would eat the eggs? and would this also help w/ static cling?

wow im just full of questions!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It is true, and mainly due to the high fat content of eggs. You could probably add a little vegetable oil to her food and get a similar benefit. Flaxseed oil is my particular favorite because of its high Omega-3 content.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
428 Posts
Egg yolks only

Raw egg yolks are good for the coat and also good for diarrhea. Never feed raw egg whites. Dr. Jean may be able to elaborate on this. I can't remember if the whites have something harmful in them or they deplete a certain nutrient. I'd have to look it up again to give you the reason for not feeding the raw egg white. Cooked whole egg is fine for both dogs and cats.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You could just use the yolks, or you could cook the eggs "over easy" to cook most of the whites, which would destroy the protein, avidin I think it is. However, this is a kind of dumb theory in my book, because the avidin in eggs exactly matches the biotin in eggs (its victim) and they just cancel each other out. The avidin will not leach out biotin from the body or from other foods. I recently started eating raw eggs again (and I ate TONS of them as a child), and I occasionally give them to my cats, none of us has dropped dead yet!

Never get dry food wet, unless you are 100% certain it will be fully consumed within 20 minutes. Otherwise the surface bacteria on the dry food will have a field day and your cat will have a tummyache.

Just got an interesting recipe that's supposed to be very immune supportive:
puree about 1/4lb raw organic beef liver, 1 raw organic brown egg and enough water to give the combination a thick milkshake consistency

Cats are reported to "lap it up." Very good for sick cats.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just the yolk

You can give your cat just the raw egg yolk by itself. Some of my cats love it, some don't. You'll have to see if your cat likes it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
From the latest research regaurding cats and raw eggs, it's been show that the yolk is ok to give, infact the whites are ok to give as well, they just really hold no value for your cat what so ever. Might as well just feed the yolks :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts