Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just joined this site because I need help with my cat. His name is Max and I've had him since he was six months old. He has been an indoor/outdoor cat since I got him. For the first three years of his life, I lived in a neighborhood where there were alot of other cats and Max had to learn to fight to survive. I moved to one place for about six months while my house was being built. Now I have been at this current house for 5 years, however, because of having to fight to survive and have territory in the past, he attacks any and every cat.

Despite that, a young cat had been coming around every now and then for about a month. When he saw him, Max would hiss, growl and howl at the young cat. Recently, I started feeding the cat and he is extremely laid back and has a very similar personality to Max except that this new cat is fine with other cats. I want keep this new cat, that has been named Shasta, but I don't know how to get these two used to each other. How would you suggest I go about this? Unfortunately, Max was able to attack him twice but Shasta still comes back. I have thought about using herbal remedies to help calm Max but I'm unsure of what ones to use or if there is anything else I can do be able to have both cats in the same room without any problems.

I'm guessing that Shasta is between eight months and a year old. He is extremely friendly but he is not fixed and I don't know if he has every had any shots or vaccines. Also, for the time being, Shasta is an outdoor only kitty so any meeting between Max and Shasta will have to be done outside or in the garage.

Thank you for your help. Let me know if you need any more info about either of the cats.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Hello and welcome :D

First off, is Max neutered?

With regard to Shasta, I would get him a vet appointment ASAP to get him neutered, get shots, and make sure he is in good health. Unneutered toms can develop some nasty habits such as spraying which you won't want in your home. It is great that you want to give him a home, but it is important to be sure that he isn't carrying any disease that could be passed on to Max. You should keep them apart until you are sure Shasta is healthy and he is neutered.

As far the cats getting along, trying googling cat introductions for more info on how to bring cats together. There are also many threads on this topic in the forum; do a search and you'll find plenty.

Have you ever considered keeping Max indoors? I don't know where you live, but in the States it is more common to keep cats indoors due to the dangers outside (cars, predators, illness, etc.). Cats can live very happily indoors. It sounds like his time outside hasn't helped his view of other cats. Hopefully, with plenty of patience from you, this can be overcome.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck to you and the kitties.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying. :)

Max is neutered, however, he still sprays. When I first moved to this house, I was going to keep him inside but Max was miserable so I decided to let him go out when ever he wanted to. I live next to a field at the back of a gated neighborhood so cars aren't a big threat. My main concern are coyotes. At one point, Max was chased up a tree by a coyote. I kept him inside for 3 days to make sure they wouldn't return.

I have been told by someone else that Max will try to kill Shasta. I'm not sure how true that is but it makes me very wary about the cats meeting each other.

I am going to call and get an appointment at the vet for Shasta, however, it's difficult because sometimes he disappears for a day or two. So unless I keep him in the garage all the time, I don't know if Shasta will be around on the day of the appointment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts