Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My elderly cat keeps checking on her food, she’s been doing it for a few months now. Its especially everytime she’s woken up she’ll get up and check her food. She also runs straight to her cat bowl if she’s away from it for even 10 minutes. I was thinking maybe she’s having a hard time remembering the last time she ate. I have no idea.

·
Registered
981 Posts
She is elderly. Just like elderly people, sometimes those who are up in the years forget things, or get concerned about something that they don't really need to be concerned about. It sounds to me as if your cat is just displaying some elderly symptoms. there is cognitive decline and even dementia in animals as well as in people. Your assessment that she may have forgotten when she ate could be accurate, or it could be something else in her mind. As long as she is generally healthy and active and acting like herself I wouldn't worry about it. :)
But you might want to watch for any other symptoms or behavior changes, and take her to the vet if something concerns you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My cat is doing the same thing and it is driving me crazy! He will be 16 in April and instead of just going to his bowl, he has to get me up too! All night long he will scratch at stuff in the room, even the wall until I wake up. He runs to his food dish which already has food in it. I point to it and he eats. One hour later, repeat.
When I finally get him to lay in bed with me, I see that he keeps looking around like he hears something or is checking something out.
I had a business zoom meeting this morning and had to shut him in my walk-in closet so he wouldn’t scratch the whole time I was in the meeting. His food and litter box are in there, but I still felt terrible. He has a vet appointment next week.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts