Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you heard reasons not to vaccinate for rabies in an older cat? I've heard it is not recommended for cats with kidney failure.

My oldest cat is 15 and in relatively good health. She is due for a rabies shot. This is an indoor cat who hates everyone but immediate family members. There is no chance of her interacting with someone outside the family, and she doesn't bite. I've kept her up to date on vaccinations so far, but have heard not to give the rabies vax to cats in renal failure.

Blue isn't showing signs of renal failure, but she is old, and it seems inevitable. I've been meaning to get a blood panel on her, before the pandemic. Seems inessential at this point, since she has no symptoms.

But the vet is sending me notifications that her rabies shot is due and she needs to be seen in the next 30 days. I canceled all her appointments (Blue was getting acupuncture for suspected arthritis.) I'm not bringing her in for a rabies shot during a pandemic. I am wondering if I can waive the rabies shot in her from here on out. She is old, and it is very unlikely this cat will be contract rabies and/or be seen by anyone not living in this house.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
Well, to be honest, a rabies shot for an inside cat would be the least of my worries right now. I agree 100% with you. Even if the laws in your state require rabies shots, now is not the time. It's just not. I don't know if kidney disease or age have any legal exceptions regarding rabies shots, but again, least of importance right now. But that's just my opinion. If your case goes to the Supreme Court of the United States, I'm not sure how much "but Marie from Cat Forum said..." will matter. :)

I wish the best for Blue, I have yet to have one of my girls reach 15 years old.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I'd guess the reminders are computer generated and the vet probably does not really want to see you at this time. IIWY I'd call and say "Wait until this virus mess is over, then we'll talk..."

I mean, even my own medical checkups are on hiatus!

With an older indoor cat I'd be inclined to skip the whole thing, but the law can be a real bugger, accidents do happen, etc., so it's your choice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts