Sex: F
Dependence: Extreme
Build: Like a pot-bellied pig

Cat #2
Breed: Unknown
Sex: F
Dependence: Independent
Build: Like an ox

To further explain those details. Cat #1 will howl like a wolf. While Cat #2 has a very soft tone. Cat #1 can scare Cat #2 have to death. Cat #1 refuses to open a door by herself. While Cat #2 has no problem opening a door.

I know the breed could be a reason. But Cat #1 seems very manipulative.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Are you asking why Cat #1 won't open the door? If so, it may because she doesn't know how to or she doesn't want to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you asking why Cat #1 won't open the door? If so, it may because she doesn't know how to or she doesn't want to.
I have considered the possibility of her not wanting to. Because, I have to have the door seemingly fully open. Before she will walk into the room. She does have arthritis in her back legs. So, That wouldn't affect(or so it would seem) her ability to push or pull the door open.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hmm, it might would if she has to stand on her hind legs to push it open. She may not know that she can just push it open.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, it might would if she has to stand on her hind legs to push it open. She may not know that she can just push it open.
From an arthritic perspective, maybe. But, When I have the door almost fully open. She still howls like a dog, and won't go through door, until I tell her.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Hmm. She probably doesn't want to. She follows instructions? Smart kitty!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm. She probably doesn't want to. She follows instructions? Smart kitty!
Well, Think of elder abuse being in the news. But it is the elder who is being abusive. That is what it feels like in this situation. Like I am her servant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am 54 n' presently living w/ my 80yr.-old mother. She got two cats that were rescues' from a hoarder.

One cat is Norwegian Forest, the other looks like a Tabby.

The Tabby is strong and muscular. While the Norwegian Forest looks like a pot-bellied pig.

The Tabby is very independent. While the Norwegian Forest cat is very dependent. The Norwegian Forest (seemingly) refuses to try opening a door herself. Someone has to open a door for her. I feel like her servant If I don't open the door. Se meows' at the top of her lungs...all the time.

What can I do to stop this behavior?

TIA

I am asking this again. Because it is getting worse.

·
Super Moderator
26,738 Posts
One of my girls does this only when I get up in the morning. She obviously came and went through the slightly cracked open bedroom door during the night, but wants me to open the door for her when I'm around. At least she doesn't meow at the top of her lungs, that would be upsetting to me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am 54 n' presently living w/ my 80yr.-old mother. She got two cats that were rescues' from a hoarder.

One cat is Norwegian Forest, the other looks like a Tabby.

The Tabby is strong and muscular. While the Norwegian Forest looks like a pot-bellied pig.

The Tabby is very independent. While the Norwegian Forest cat is very dependent. The Norwegian Forest (seemingly) refuses to try opening a door herself. Someone has to open a door for her. I feel like her servant If I don't open the door. Se meows' at the top of her lungs...all the time.

What can I do to stop this behavior?

TIA

I am asking this again. Because it is getting worse.
Well, Think of elder abuse being in the news. But it is the elder who is being abusive. That is what it feels like in this situation. Like I am her servant.

Your cat is not being abusive. Please stop blaming her for this because it is not her fault. It sounds to me as if she simply is either unable to open the door herself, thinks she cannot, or doesn't want to for some reason. What is so bad about opening it for her? Can you just leave it open? Can you install a little flap in the door so she can go through without your having to open it?

I suggest that, rather than getting angry or frustrated with a little cat who is elderly and may even be not fully herself any longer, you try to find a work-around that you and the cat can both live with.

Also, if she is meowing at the top of her lungs all the time she may have a medical issue and the first thing to do is have her thoroughly checked out at the vet to see what is wrong.

She is not doing this to annoy you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your cat is not being abusive. Please stop blaming her for this because it is not her fault. It sounds to me as if she simply is either unable to open the door herself, thinks she cannot, or doesn't want to for some reason. What is so bad about opening it for her? Can you just leave it open? Can you install a little flap in the door so she can go through without your having to open it?
Not of her own free will. Her behavior was learned somehow. I working on showing her. When the door is not completely closed. She can push it open from the outside. Getting her to pull it open from the inside, is harder to show her.
I suggest that, rather than getting angry or frustrated with a little cat who is elderly and may even be not fully herself any longer, you try to find a work-around that you and the cat can both live with.
I can't get the Cat Whisperer from cable tv.
Also, if she is meowing at the top of her lungs all the time she may have a medical issue and the first thing to do is have her thoroughly checked out at the vet to see what is wrong.
I thought that, at first. But, I noticed a difference in the sounds. Because, While she is elderly and has a kidney infection. She is capable of a lower pitch. I did check her litter last night. It was not good. While she does #1 alot, because of the infection. My mother hadn't cleaned in more than a day.
She is not doing this to annoy you.
I know that. But she did learn the demanding behavior somewhere, probably from the hoarder she was rescued from.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not of her own free will. Her behavior was learned somehow. I working on showing her. When the door is not completely closed. She can push it open from the outside. Getting her to pull it open from the inside, is harder to show her.

I can't get the Cat Whisperer from cable tv.

I thought that, at first. But, I noticed a difference in the sounds. Because, While she is elderly and has a kidney infection. She is capable of a lower pitch. I did check her litter last night. It was not good. While she does #1 alot, because of the infection. My mother hadn't cleaned in more than a day.

I know that. But she did learn the demanding behavior somewhere, probably from the hoarder she was rescued from.
OK, so, she needs more time to learn how to open the door the way you want her to. Just keep showing her what to do. Or, leave the door partly open so that she can get through. I don't understand why this is a large problem.

I never recommended The Cat Whisperer so I don't know why you are even mentioning this. I don't even know what The Cat Whisperer is, and don't have TV myself.

When I said rather than get angry find a work-around, I meant that you can find some way for her to go through the door when she needs to, and for it not to have to be you that opens it every time. Get creative in your thinking.

Is she being treated for the kidney infection? Are you aware that kidney infections are VERY painful? This may be why she is meowing. If you have her under the treatment of a vet, ask the vet about the constant meowing and see what they say. She may need something different or additionally to her medication.

I don't think it is helpful for you to think of this as demanding behavior she learned somewhere. I can't think of any way that it will make the situation or your relationship with this cat to think in those terms. Whatever is going on is not her fault, so what does it matter if she learned it somewhere or not?

Be kind to this cat. She is sick, and very uncomfortable, probably in pain at least some of the time, and in a fragile state. None of which is her doing, and she doesn't understand what is happening to her. Treat her with compassion, as if she were your beloved grandmother who was having a problem getting the door open, and needed some help. If you think about it, you can come up with a way to work with this.

And please consult the vet that is treating her as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts