Sex: F
Dependence: Extreme
Build: Like a pot-bellied pig

Cat #2
Breed: Unknown
Sex: F
Dependence: Independent
Build: Like an ox

To further explain those details. Cat #1 will howl like a wolf. While Cat #2 has a very soft tone. Cat #1 can scare Cat #2 have to death. Cat #1 refuses to open a door by herself. While Cat #2 has no problem opening a door.

I know the breed could be a reason. But Cat #1 seems very manipulative.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

See less See more
#8 ·
I am 54 n' presently living w/ my 80yr.-old mother. She got two cats that were rescues' from a hoarder.

One cat is Norwegian Forest, the other looks like a Tabby.

The Tabby is strong and muscular. While the Norwegian Forest looks like a pot-bellied pig.

The Tabby is very independent. While the Norwegian Forest cat is very dependent. The Norwegian Forest (seemingly) refuses to try opening a door herself. Someone has to open a door for her. I feel like her servant If I don't open the door. Se meows' at the top of her lungs...all the time.

What can I do to stop this behavior?

TIA

I am asking this again. Because it is getting worse.

#9 ·
One of my girls does this only when I get up in the morning. She obviously came and went through the slightly cracked open bedroom door during the night, but wants me to open the door for her when I'm around. At least she doesn't meow at the top of her lungs, that would be upsetting to me.

#10 ·
It sounds to me as if she simply is either unable to open the door herself, thinks she cannot, or doesn't want to for some reason. What is so bad about opening it for her? Can you just leave it open? Can you install a little flap in the door so she can go through without your having to open it?

I suggest that you try to find a work-around that you and the cat can both live with.

Also, if she is meowing at the top of her lungs all the time she may have a medical issue and the first thing to do is have her thoroughly checked out at the vet to see what is wrong.

She is not doing this to annoy you.

#11 ·
Your cat is not being abusive. Please stop blaming her for this because it is not her fault. It sounds to me as if she simply is either unable to open the door herself, thinks she cannot, or doesn't want to for some reason. What is so bad about opening it for her? Can you just leave it open? Can you install a little flap in the door so she can go through without your having to open it?
Not of her own free will. Her behavior was learned somehow. I working on showing her. When the door is not completely closed. She can push it open from the outside. Getting her to pull it open from the inside, is harder to show her.
I suggest that, rather than getting angry or frustrated with a little cat who is elderly and may even be not fully herself any longer, you try to find a work-around that you and the cat can both live with.
I can't get the Cat Whisperer from cable tv.
Also, if she is meowing at the top of her lungs all the time she may have a medical issue and the first thing to do is have her thoroughly checked out at the vet to see what is wrong.
I thought that, at first. But, I noticed a difference in the sounds. Because, While she is elderly and has a kidney infection. She is capable of a lower pitch. I did check her litter last night. It was not good. While she does #1 alot, because of the infection. My mother hadn't cleaned in more than a day.
She is not doing this to annoy you.
I know that. But she did learn the demanding behavior somewhere, probably from the hoarder she was rescued from.

#12 ·
Just keep showing her what to do. Or, leave the door partly open so that she can get through. I don't understand why this is a large problem.

When I said rather than get angry find a work-around, I meant that you can find some way for her to go through the door when she needs to, and for it not to have to be you that opens it every time.

Is she being treated for the kidney infection? Are you aware that kidney infections are VERY painful? This may be why she is meowing. If you have her under the treatment of a vet, ask the vet about the constant meowing and see what they say. She may need something different or additionally to her medication.

Be kind to this cat. She is sick, and very uncomfortable, probably in pain at least some of the time, and in a fragile state. None of which is her doing, and she doesn't understand what is happening to her. Treat her with compassion, as if she were your beloved grandmother who was having a problem getting the door open, and needed some help. If you think about it, you can come up with a way to work with this.

And please consult the vet that is treating her as well.

#15 · (Edited)
Just keep showing her what to do. Or, leave the door partly open so that she can get through. I don't understand why this is a large problem.

When I said rather than get angry find a work-around, I meant that you can find some way for her to go through the door when she needs to, and for it not to have to be you that opens it every time.

Is she being treated for the kidney infection? Are you aware that kidney infections are VERY painful? This may be why she is meowing. If you have her under the treatment of a vet, ask the vet about the constant meowing and see what they say. She may need something different or additionally to her medication.

Be kind to this cat. She is sick, and very uncomfortable, probably in pain at least some of the time, and in a fragile state. None of which is her doing, and she doesn't understand what is happening to her. Treat her with compassion, as if she were your beloved grandmother who was having a problem getting the door open, and needed some help. If you think about it, you can come up with a way to work with this.

And please consult the vet that is treating her as well.
She has been treated for several years. I have seen her jump up on a short couch sometimes. Even though she has pain in her back legs. Over the last couple of months. My mother n' I had given the cat IV Saline, because a vet said she was dehydrated. That was a battle, not just with the cat. But also my mother. The latest vet said to stop the IV.

I have also wondered if the loud meowing is related to the breed(Norwegian Forest). Because of the breed being outside. But everything I find. Says they are a quiet breed.

#13 ·
Hi Christophe.

First, get The Yowler checked out with a Vet.

Meanwhile, get a handful of her favorite treats. Sit on one side of the door with it slightly open while cat is on the other side. Offer treat and call her name. When she pushes through the door, give her treat and praise. Then sit on other side of door with her on the opposite side. Offer treat and call her name. Give her treat and praise when she comes through the door. Repeat until skill is attained and reinforce as needed.

When she's able to go in and out of the room without howling, stop treats but continue to sit on either side of the door and call her into the room. Give lots of praise. After several successful attempts, stop calling her and see how she does on her own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.