Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

i just took my kitty to the vet ..it’s unreal they never help, I never leave any the wiser hundreds of dollars later it’s so frustrating !

my cat has ibd and now ckd ….so they gave me some renal foods which she ate but they seem to irritate her ibd ..she has thrown up had diarrhoea from it …I’m just really frustrated , trying to do whatever it takes to help her feel better and the vets just seem clueless at best !

they had me giving her prednisone 5 mg daily …but that has side effects and is not good to be on long term so I have cut the dosage down to half a tablet every two days ..

i am open to cooking for for her myself or whatever it takes ..would anyone happen to have an idea of what food would be good for both her ibd and her ckd ?

she has lost weight and I can tell she is feeling bad and is throwing up and has the runs and I just want to help any way I can ..does anyone have ideas or advice here ? The vets are a never ending money pit which I would gladly pay but they never ever seem to help…they know she has chronic ibd yet give me food that they know will inflame that I just don’t get them!

thanks in advance for anyone that can help I’m desperate to figure something out!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had an elderly cat with renal failure. List him three years ago at the age of 21! A lot of research I did said to put him on a low phosphorous diet. Egg whites, boiled chicken, rice. It helped him for quite a while.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Prednisone, like all steroids, are very bad for anyone and I wouldn't be giving that to your cat if I were you.

I agree that doing your own research would be a good idea here. Also, there are facebook groups for people with renal disease cats, and they will help you. Probably there's a forum, too.

And, seek out a different vet!
Call the office first and ask if the vet has experience specifically with treating renal disease in cats, because it does take specific care and not all vets know how to do that. The vet you have unfortunately been to doesn't, in my opinion, know zip about it or he wouldn't have given your cat steroids. That will not help and in the not-very-long run will make things worse.

Creating your own diet for renal disease can of course be done but you have to be very careful.
the diet mentioned above may have kept that cat alive and stayed down and all, but it is seriously lacking in nutrients and specific things that cats have to have in order to be genuinely healthy. If you do a home made diet, please research cat nutrition extensively (not just one website where they claim to know what to do) and make sure you are fulfilling all of those while at the same time staying low in phosphorus.

I kept my renal-failure cat healthy and happy for three years past his diagnosis which happened at the age of 14. But it took a lot of dedication and work on my part and a lot of help and info from others who were more knowledgeable than I was, or than most of the vets were.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts