Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're trying to train Electra to enjoy being held, since she despises it, and lately she's been letting us hold her for at least 30 seconds which is a huge difference from the first time she came home. Apparantly she associates being held with negative things, like vet trips I guess. So now whenever she jumps up, I pet her until she's satisfied and I pick her up. Hopefully she'll let us hold her for a long period of time some time in the future!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm going through the same things with Halifax... he does NOT want to be held for long... but I'm wearing him down... heh heh heh... but he's still a brat. *sigh* If you have any break throughs please let me know. ^_^ I need all the advice I can get.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Usually I pick her up when she's in a good mood and after I've been petting and scratching her for a bit. Then I hold her so she's in a sitting position (she seems to be more relaxed like that) and pet her more. Then the slightest squirm or wiggle from her, I put her down and praise her some more. Treats are alllways good for reinforcement!

I guess it'll just take time, patience, and hope!!!
good luck with ur cat gabriella too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts