Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bf's brother accidently left the window open a bit and Electra must've gotten out through there. She's been gone since this afternoon around 1:30ish and she's nowhere to been seen. We went out looking for her a bit but she must've run off somewhere chasing a fly or something.

anyways i hope she finds her way back. she's been an indoor cat for over 2 yrs now so i'm afraid she's not quite capable of being an outdoor cat.

I'm sooo sad..

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that. I really hope she makes her way home.
Have you checked EVERYWHERE?? Are you sure there is no possible way she is still int he house?

·
Registered
697 Posts
I hope your cat comes back soon. Maybe its not too soon to check the shelters? Post flyers in your neighborhood too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
she's not in the house for sure. she'll come to the sound of krinkling paper and she meows like no other cat and she didnt come. i hope she comes back cuz she's hungry since she likes to eat so much... the kitten is lonely too.

it's getting dark now too..

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I hate when that happens. Gaylord is very determined about getting out and has been known to escape through windows, doors, etc. It is always SO scary for us. He always finds his way back, but once he was out overnight, ad we were so upset, we didn't go to sleep, we just stayed up all night looking for him. We came back from callig for him and he was sitting on our front porch :roll: Little Stinker. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I would be so paranoid if anyone lived with me and if they ever let one of my cats out God help them! People who don't love our fur babies like we do don't understand how important it is to protect them from getting outside. I'm sure she is not too far away, just exploring the great outdoors.

Please let us know the good news when she returns.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear she escaped :( I'd be worried sick. Surfboard has escaped out the back several times but always runs straight under the house and starts rolling in the dirt :roll: He's never gotten any further. We would go nuts if he ran off.

I'm sure you're kitty will be home soon. Is she micro-chipped? If so, any shelter will scan her and contact you. It's really big in Hawaii and the Humane Society micro-chips each adoptee. Next month they're running a special--$5! What a deal. Zoë is the only one we didn't get from the Humane Society so we're taking her in next month. Just knowing that a scanner can tell anyone who our babies belong to eases my anxiety about escapes.
If she isn't micro-chip, try posters like MA said. If you have a neighborhood pet store, post a BIG one there. Pet owners will pay more attention and if someone finds your baby and goes to buy her supplies, they'll see the poster.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Surfboard has escaped out the back several times but always runs straight under the house and starts rolling in the dirt

That is so weird....Gaylord tends to do the same thing. He will escape out one of the doors (usually right between my legs, with me yelling and him to stay inside) and run to the bottom of our stairs and roll around on his back. It is SO funny. I can usually grab him at this point but one in awhile he runs from me. Then I am in for about an hour of worrying until he comes back :roll:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ohh thnk goodness we found her..

we went for one last walk around the block and we were almost back home and then we heard a dog barking.. we took a look backwards and all of a sudden we saw Electra run across the street so we lured her back to us with krinkly paper. She absolutely hates to be held so my bf had to hold her down while I ran home to get the kitty carrier. So everything's ok now and I'm soo relieved. She's a little nervous, like looking over her shoulder every time she hears the slightest sound, but she's calming down. and the kitten's glad to see her too. I'm glad we found her before it got dark. She ran across the street without even looking around so if we didnt find her she could've gotten hit by a car.

anyways..i'm glad she's back. thnx everyone for crossing your fingers. we're going to get both the cats chipped just in case either one gets out again.

·
Registered
209 Posts
What a relief. Now you can actually get some sleep tonight!
How much is chipping in your area? I was shocked when the humane society said only $5.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that is really really really cheap for chipping.. i think it costs like 70 bucks here. 8O electra seemed a little irritated when we pet her or when the kitten bugged her... she just wanted to lay down and rest i think. but now she's fine and back to her normal sweet self. i'm soooo relieved! haha

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I'm so happy Electra has been found!! I read through this thread hoping for good news. Give her some extra kisses for all of us! :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i will! we're slowly training her to like being held. apparantly from the breeder she said electra associated being held with bad things like going to the vet. so now we pick her up for a few seconds, pet her, and give her snacks so she'll kno we're not takin her anywhere

·
Registered
983 Posts
Motoko said:
that is really really really cheap for chipping.. i think it costs like 70 bucks here. 8O electra seemed a little irritated when we pet her or when the kitten bugged her... she just wanted to lay down and rest i think. but now she's fine and back to her normal sweet self. i'm soooo relieved! haha
What's chipping? :)

And i'm glad you found her :D that's great! I remember once, a long time ago, 17+ years, our canary flew out of the cage, it was at the summer house... so we took the cage out and the bird few back in! ... simply amazing :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
"Chipping" is having a micro-chip inserted right under your cat's skin. This allows anyone with the appropriate equipment (I assume a scanner) to "scan" your cat and it will pull up owner information. This way if your cat ever escapes or is lost or is found as a stray, shelters and vets can scan the cat to verify and contact the owner.
Because it is a law in Hawaii that cats MUST have identification, micro-chipping is very common and apparently cheaper than in other places.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Microchipping is the most effective way to protect a cat, I believe. It's the cost that keeps it from being more common.

I'm so glad you found Electra. I know I would have been in a panic. In fact, my dog was missing for a week (with collar and ID), and we were out every day, going from house to house for miles around. We finally found him. There was a bridge over the turnpike , only one in the entire area, and he found it, but couldn't find his way back home. One of the people whose house we stopped at finally called and said he was sleeping on her porch. We were one happy family!

·
Registered
6 Posts
chipping

chipping is done usually when cats are spayed or neutered. A small computer chip is surgically implaced under teh cats skin near the shouldblade. If your cat gets lost and found by a pound they have a scanner that they run near the skin where the chip is. They get the number of the chip and call the company that makes them. They then trace the number to the vet or whoever neutered the cat who then contacts you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rarepuss: that's an awesome story lol and btw your cat is really cute!

I always freak out when my dog runs out too... he'll get so tied up with his exploring and marking of his territories, he'll just ignore us calling him. But we always seem to lure him back with a cookie haha...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts