Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running air conditioning for the last month and a half. The other day I decided to turn it off and open the place up. (Temps are in the 70's all week.) Well, right after I did it Elly has been sneezing.

At first I thought it just might be some typical pollen/mold allergies but I'm not so sure anymore. It's still rather persistant after a few days and today her ears and paws are warm, and she seems a bit lethargic. (Punky seems anxious and bored so I don't think Elly's in the mood to play...) She has no boogers or goopy eyes, but her nose might be a little red. (I say "might be a little red" because I'm a worry-wort... I might just be imagining things.)

Tomorrow is my only day off for a long while, so I'll have to bring her in to the vet.

Does anyone have any tips/advice?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Do you think it might be worth it to turn the air back on and see if her spirits change at all? Maybe she's so used to being spoiled that the "heat" is somehow affecting her???

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's not a bad idea. It is a warm night, I'm thinking about turning the A/C back on anyway.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I think that's a good idea, too. As much as I love hot weather, not just warm, but hot, I enjoy having the house cooler. I have a breathing problem, so I absolutely have to have the air conditioner on in the summer. If it's not on, I get exhausted. I hope the air conditioner helps Elly, but if you're concerned, it's worth taking her to the vet-- to get peace of mind, if nothing else.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I opted against taking her to the vet. She's no longer warm, and quite a bit more active today. The sneezes seem less often as well.

I figure she'll be fine in a day or so and I should let nature take it's course. She's almost better so the last thing I want to do is have a vet give her some medicine that at this point she probably doesn't need.

If the situation changes, she'll be going to the vet of course.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update:

She doesn't seem to be improving like I thought. We have a vet appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning. :?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I hope everything is fine or at least solved with little effort.
*hugs for Elly*

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Many prayers for Elly. I'm glad you have made the appointment. Now you know help is not far off, and hopefully, you will not worry as much. I sincerely hope that she will be fine.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well to be honest, I should've taken her in the other day. I feel really bad about it.

Right now, she obviously isn't feeling good. Her nose is stuffy, she's breathing out of her mouth like a human would when their nose is congested, her eyes are watery too. She has been eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom like normal at least.

Punky has been a good sister today, she hasn't been picking on her like she's been in the last few days.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
It sounds like Feline Herpes Virus - they eat and drink normally with the difference that are a little less active and get stuffy nose + goopy eyes. Bart was sneezing so bad last winter - he had a lot of flegm down his throat coming all over the place - I had to desinfect everything in his little confined area quiete often. I was really worried about him since he is so old - such a sweet-heart!
Best of luck tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Try not to feel bad....pets can't talk, and they are SO hard to read when they are sick. Last year, Gaylord had been acting kind of quiet for a few days, but he seemed fine otherwise. He was sneezing a bit, but nothing really terrible, so I figured he was OK and didn't take him in......well, then he got all stuffed up, starting having long sneezing fits, and was looking really weak. Of course, this was late on a Saturday night. :roll: I was feeling HORRENDOUSLY guilty and I was nearly in tears, so we had a fun late night, 300 dollar visit to the Emergency Vet. He had a fever, etc., I kept saying to the vet on call that I was such a horrible cat-mother, I should have known, I worked at a vet, etc, etc, etc. She calmed me down, assured me that there was no reason for me to feel so bad, that cats are SO DARNED GOOD at hiding how they are feeling when they are sick. Gaylord got some antibiotics and some fluids, and he was back to normal in 2 days :D *hugs to Elly*

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, we're back -- and not without a scare.

She had a fever, so the vet gave here a shot of dorypene (can't remember the exact name, and I forgot the invoice in the car) and prescribed her some Amoxicillin.

So as I was driving home I have a look at her and see she's foaming at the mouth and in a great deal of discomfort. I pulled U-turn (at risk of getting a ticket, lol) and sped back to the vet. He said that about 1 in 30 cats have this sort of reaction to the shot. They tried to give her a can of Science Diet, which she wouldn't eat, so he forced her to eat a little. And we tried to wait it out. After about 15 or 20 minutes she recieved another injection to stop the hyper-salivation.

Now that we're home, she's feeling a lot better. And she's mad at me for cramming some bubble-gum flavored Amoxicillin down her throat. She still won't eat, but I expect her to do it soon.

I have to go to work in a few minutes to work a real long shift -- I tried to get the first few hours off so I could look after her, but no luck. Although I've arrainged for someone to drop by so I can have peace of mind this afternoon.

P.S. Thanks everyone for the support. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
*HUGS* I know how scary it is when they get sick and we feel helpless. You did great and I am praying for a speedy recovery for her. Keep us updated!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Rob, I feel so bad for both of you. I hope you get good news when you call home, (and I'm sure you will) and are able to share it with us. Was the diagnosiis URI ? Nothing exotic? Well, if it had been serious, I'm sure the vet would have kept her there. God bless both of you.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this is terrible, she's way worse than ever right now. Not moving, not eating, not drinking, and hacking/coughing.

I'm in the process of contacting an emergency vet right now... :cry:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Oh, I am so sorry, Rob - so sudden and with no warning.
I will keep Elly in my thoughts! I strongly hope she is out of any danger. Please keep us posted!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts