Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the owner of our building knocked on our door today and said he noticed icky smells coming from our apartment. our cats stink, and i'm worried if i can't figure this out we'll be kicked out of our building.

here's the deal: we use swheat scoop litter, the cats are fed wellness wet and a tiny bit of felidae dry. the poop SMELLS.

what can i do to un-stink their poop? what is the best litter (i prefer non-clay) in odor control? does anyone know anything i can do to get rid of poop smell?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I'm sure you're already pretty vigilant about scooping... so to add on to Annissa, try Glade Plugins, "Clean Linen" or whatever the scent is. It's pretty strong and actually smells okay.

Is your litterbox covered? I've always believed that controls odor to a degree. You could also try Clump N Flush if it's available in your area.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't know if a plug-in will work, ince there's no outlet near the box. i don't have the box covered cause i don't want to make them go poop in an area where that smell is concentrated! :lol:

anissa- did the candle just cover up the smell? how stinky was sabby?

padunk- have you used that clump and flush yourself? i could probably find it around here...

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Yep, I use it right now. It's pretty good, I'm not in love with it but it does the job. It's priced well at $6.79 for a 15lb bag.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I use a True Air Odor Eliminator - but since you said you don't have an outlet near the area (even though I think it works no matter how far away) I would also recommend those Gonzo Bags of Lava Rocks. They actually do work for me!!!!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
faile said:
anissa- did the candle just cover up the smell? how stinky was sabby?
Heheh...it wasn't Sabby. My apartment flooded last July and I was dealing with mold, mildew, and backed-up sewer. The air in my apartment was nearly unbreathable. When I was burning the candle my neighbors would come to visit me because I had my door open and they'd say, "Wow, it smells good in here!"

For Sabby-smell I put Nature's Miracle in a spray bottle and mist the entire apartment with it. But it sounds like your problem is probably just litter box smell and not kitty-bottom-on-carpet smell.

Check the area around Cujo and Kat's litter box for vents that might be pulling air from that area and distributing it around your apartment. Also, if the box is by your front door, try to move it to a far corner of your apartment. Lastly, try putting that Glade Plug-In by your front door so Landlord catches whiffs of perfume instead of any other residual odors in your home.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my apartment is weird- it has 2 doors right next to each other in the building hallway, but you have to go through some rooms to get to the second door from inside the apartment. we have the litter box in the hallway that goes to the second door, it's the most out of the way place in the apartment. i guess we may have to move it somewhere else. i like the plug in idea, theres just really no way to keep one by the second door unless there's a battery operated model.

·
Registered
99 Posts
candles in general are a good way to get rid of smells because I think the flame actually does something to help burn up the smells in the airs. basically, whenever my cats leave an ultra intensive "treasure" and the litter isn't covering it up too well, I'll just light a few candles and soon the air's all fresh again. :)

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Hey there! I have this vision of the litterbox being in the hallway that is pretty closed off at one end...is this correct? If so, my only suggestion would be to move the box (and i know you mentioned, it'll be a pain to find somewhere else), but it just doesn't seem like the smell has any where else to go...it'll just continue to kinda linger and if it's the hall closest to the common areas of the building, it's pretty likely that the landlord will be back again...and you know how landlords can be! :(

I do agree, candles areGREAT, but you can't leave them burning when you aren't home, that could be dangerous, ya know??

·
Registered
368 Posts
I use a product called the environmental air sponge.

http://www.contractorszone.com/AirSponge/

It comes in little plastic tubs - like a sour cream container and I get it at Walmart in their air freshner isle. You pop the top off and let it do the rest, no plugging in, no burning - lasts about 1 month and works really well - it removes the odor instead of masking it, and one eliminated most of the odor. Its a little more expensive than some air freshners, but my kitties are worth it. I love them, but don't want to smell them, so I can imagine what others must think

The other thing I did was add silicon litter to their regular clumping liter - about 1 part silicon to 4 parts clumping. It was enough to absorb a lot of the odor, but less expensive as I use less of it and my cats hardly noticed. Between the two, my parents were over and they couldn't smell the two kitties at all. I live in a 2 bedroom condo, and if they could smell either cat, believe me, mom would have said something. :D

·
Registered
672 Posts
Did they just start stinking or have they been stinking this whole time ? :lol:

If the smell just started, did you change anything? Litter, food, etc....

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I use one of those Gonzo type bags and a small plug in Hamilton Beach True Air purifier with a pet odors filter. I don't know how stinky my cats are (Baxter's elimination is worse than Barnaby's) in comparison to yours but this seems to work for me.

I tried the Nilodor system that I purchased from PetSmart but I think something about it freaked scaredy cat Barnaby out because he became afraid to enter the litter box room so I had stop before I could determine if it was effective.

I still have it with 4 refill cans if anyone is interested in buying if from me. It was used 2 whole days.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Faile, have you ever used any other foods that didn't cause the smell?

Angel eats Chicken Soup dry (free feeding) and a single serving of Fancy Feast. Her foster mom had used Scoop Away Fresh Scent litter, so I stuck with that. And we have zero odor problems. Angel's box is in my bedroom and you would never know it without seeing it.

The Scoop Away litter has a smell that reminds me of baking soda. It is a very comfortable, clean scent. It is not over-bearing at all. I can always tell when she has been in her box, because there is this fresh scent in the room (hmmm, must be why they call it Fresh Scent, you reckon???).

I hope you are getting some suggestions that will help you.

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't know if you would consider changing their diet, but it seems that our cat's litter box takes a couple of days to smell bad. I always thought it had to do with their diet of dry food with only a tablespoon of canned food once a week. Two cats (one who almost never covers :roll: ) and we only need to scoop every other day....one litter box using scooping litter with crystals added.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i picked up that gonzo bag thing, hopefully that will help. kat has been fairly stinky since we got her, but cujo just started up maybe a month or 2 ago. i haven't changed anything with their diet. tomorrow i'm going to head over to the store and look for new litter.

if all else fails, we'll move the box.

thanks everyone, i really appreciate all the ideas and help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We use Yesterday's News Unscented Softer Texture and Oliver really likes it! It's not stinky and it's super easy to clean!

I read somewhere (I don't remember where) that since a cat has such a strong sense of smell, essential oils and scented candles (scented anything really) smell very unpleasant to them and makes them unhappy.

Good luck though.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Wayne mentioned Nilodor. It can be bought in drugstores also. I learned about it as a product recommended for colostomy patients. It "erases" odors. I use Arm 'n Hammer Litter and the Littermaid, and am very well pleased with both. You would have to neglect it badly to have an odor. However, I think a system like the Wayne has would give you peace of mind. It's a shame his cats were "spooked" by it. The Littermaid makes a bit of noise, but my cats never hesitated to use it. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts