Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend Amber came over today (she rocks - I met her on another forum a year ago and she has a cat and a dog, and will hopefully be joining us here) and took some kitten pictures. I'm not allowed to show you all those yet, but the Emma ones are fine to share.

Note: I did not take these pictures, however, I have permission (and encouragement!) to post them.

So . . . what do you all think? Does she look like Maine Coon mix to you? She's much too small to be purebred, only about 7-8lbs, and I've seen her mom who is definitely not a Maine Coon. Mommy looked like a purebred Bengal, believe it or not - except she had thin stripes rather than the beautiful rosettes typically seen in Bengals, but the coloring of her coat was similar, and her body & face shape were nearly identical to a Bengal.

The Outtakes:

"Mmm, pictures." (I was luring her with food to look at the camera, half of the pictures are of her very impressive little pink tongue! :lol:)

"They's tasty pictures . . ."

"Uhh, what now? Posing? Nope, I'm done!"

·
Super Moderator
26,542 Posts
Wow, she's beautiful, just stunning! Great pictures - even the outtakes. :D

The white on her neck looks sooooooo soft!

·
Super Moderator
18,393 Posts
Emma is gorgeous and your friend took some great pictures!

I hate to be a wet blanket, but no I don't think there's much Maine Coon in her. First is her size, she's even small for an average DLH, let alone one with MC in her. She doesn't have any hint of lynx tips on her ears, her ruff is very short, her feet seem proportionate to her body (while MC's are outsized). I can't see her britches. Not all MCs have all of these traits, but they usually have some combination of them.

She's still a beautiful girl though...

·
Banned
11,024 Posts
I can see her ear tips in the third photo. The only way to know if she is a Maine Coon is with certificate papers saying so from a breeder. She looks like one to me, but maybe she is mixed. I'm not so sure, but she is a pretty kitty though! :D

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
We had a cat who we thought was at least part Maine Coon too, and I finally had to accept the fact that we'll just never know. She sure had many of the physical traits and a lot of the behavioral traits, though.

Your kitty is BEAUTIFUL!! What a gorgeous, fluffy girl.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the compliments about Emma, everyone! I linked Amber to the thread so hopefully she can come thank you all for the compliments on her photography herself. ;)

doodlebug said:
I hate to be a wet blanket, but no I don't think there's much Maine Coon in her. First is her size, she's even small for an average DLH, let alone one with MC in her. She doesn't have any hint of lynx tips on her ears, her ruff is very short, her feet seem proportionate to her body (while MC's are outsized). I can't see her britches. Not all MCs have all of these traits, but they usually have some combination of them.
You're not being a wet blanket at all! I asked for opinions, and an opinion from a MC owner is awesome. Her size is the huge detractor for me, too, that and the delicate bone structure, smallish head, and complete lack of ruff (I covet Maine Coon ruffs :oops:). She definitely has britches, though - I call them her Pirate Pants or her Pantaloons. :lol: They're trimmed quite a bit right now, not that you'd notice since she's sitting on them anyway.

But thank you - you've pretty much confirmed my belief that if she does have MC in her it's not a lot. Oh, an guess what? I got to cuddle a Maine Coon mix today. :love2 Talk about bone on that cat - she could have made a mastiff breeder proud! She was 16lbs of skinny cat. Positively huge, even without being at a healthy weight.

DesnBaby said:
I can see her ear tips in the third photo. The only way to know if she is a Maine Coon is with certificate papers saying so from a breeder. She looks like one to me, but maybe she is mixed. I'm not so sure, but she is a pretty kitty though! :D
Oh yeah, she's not purebred. I know where she came from and a good breeder is not it. Those people were one step away from being hoarders. She has ear-tips, but they aren't very impressive, lol.

October said:
We had a cat who we thought was at least part Maine Coon too, and I finally had to accept the fact that we'll just never know. She sure had many of the physical traits and a lot of the behavioral traits, though.
LOL, I don't mind if she is or she isn't. First and foremost, she is The Bane of My Exist--er, she's EMMA, I mean. I thought she was definitely a Maine Coon as a kitten, but she grew out of much of the resemblance. People have just been asking lately if she's a Maine Coon or not - and while she isn't, I think she could possibly be a mix because of the resemblance.

It's very nice to have cat owners' experience on the subject. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks so much for the compliments on the photos. I'm Nolu's crazy friend that she speaks of lol.

Anyways. Emma was difficult for me to photograph since that backdrop was initially set up for pictures of the kittens Noludoru is fostering so the backdrop wasn't high enough at first... she's much bigger than the kittens lol

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Skittledoo said:
Thanks so much for the compliments on the photos. I'm Nolu's crazy friend that she speaks of lol.

Anyways. Emma was difficult for me to photograph since that backdrop was initially set up for pictures of the kittens Noludoru is fostering so the backdrop wasn't high enough at first... she's much bigger than the kittens lol
Bigger? Emma? Nonsense.

SHE LIES. Emma is a Pocket Cat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
haha ok so I must clarify that Emma is not overly big lol... just in relation to itty bitty kittens she's like... super Emma hehehe

Emma is a fun little cuddle pocket kitty.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Skittledoo said:
haha ok so I must clarify that Emma is not overly big lol... just in relation to itty bitty kittens she's like... super Emma hehehe

Emma is a fun little cuddle pocket kitty.
LMAO nah.. she's big in comparison. Emma was just deeply insulted at your post and paid me $10 to say that. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
you tell her I will just have to torture her when I come over next... ooohhhh I have my ways. I mean... I do have the Goober afterall... and he likes to torture kitties....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts