Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Emma has a diaphragmatic hernia and may not can even have the surgery if I could afford it, as two docs have said that it's very, very complicated and she may not make it through; so that's one thing. My latest issue is that when I took her to get her spayed, I then found out that no vet would touch her because of her "issues," being the breathing issue when putting her under. So she can't be spayed now. Dear God, help me. Or just shoot me! I don't know which. :)

Three weeks ago she was in heat for the first time, and now it's her second cycle. I don't know who's more miserable, me or her. But she's just pitiful. So the vet suggested this to fool her into thinking she's mated; to take the end of a pencil eraser and gently tap her little rear area back there a few time, nothing inserted at all, but it's just supposed to stimulate them into thinking they've mated and with any luck, they'll go out of heat.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? And if so, does it work? If not, do you think it's okay to try it? I feel strange about this, but if it would help her, or the both of us, I might be willing to try it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Any other ideas? Why can't they just make a pill! :?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know who's more miserable, me or her. But she's just pitiful.
I know what you mean - one time we had to go out and get a hotel room for a night so we could get a good nights sleep. But my wife knew someone at the hotel and they gave us the room for free.

In our case we were able to have her spayed, so that problem won't come up again. I had read about a Q-tip procedure that is kind of of like what you describe, but we never seriously considered it, so I can't really say much about the pros and cons.

Can you keep the kitty in a different room at night so you can at least get some sleep?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@[email protected]

I think I'll stick to the boy cats where I can just give them a shove and say "Put that thing away!"
:thumb HA! Absolutely! Come to think of it, we didn't even know if she was a boy or a girl until we got her home. We rescued her from the side of the road, so we had no choice!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
You have my full sympathy. My Satin just spent over a week in heat and believe me - it was miserable for us both. She went today to get spayed... good luck with yours.. I hope you get something figured out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know what you mean - one time we had to go out and get a hotel room for a night so we could get a good nights sleep.
Can you keep the kitty in a different room at night so you can at least get some sleep?
I'm about at that point! I just had her in the bathroom, and she cries worse in there than if she's out. This seems to be a no-win situation right now.

I wouldn't dare insert anything inside her. I wouldn't go there either. I've heard of what you're talking about, and that's not a consideration for me at all. Maybe someone else will chime in. Thanks!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope I figure something out soon too, Jan, or we'll both be crazy.

The first time she was only in heat for four days, so not too bad, but today is day four, and I've got a feeling it's going to last longer this time. Do you know how many times she'll go in and out of heat? I know it's usually during the spring and fall, right? But how many times, like how long will this go on? Any idea? She's trying to find a way to crawl through the glass in my bedroom window right now. Oh, Lordy! This is serious.

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
If you don't 'relieve' her, her hormones will drive her nuts...she can go into multiple heat cycles with barely a break in between because her body needs to mate. She will also drive you nuts. In addition, you risk her getting out to go find some nooky. Her drive to mate will make her very creative about trying to find a way outside. And that will present not only the danger of outdoors, but it sounds as if a pregnancy would be dangerous in her condition. So you need to get over your squeamishness and help her out.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
There is a cat just like yours at the group home where I work. When we took this resident's cat to be fixed at the local spay clinic, they said it was too risky because of her breathing issues.

We went to a second vet to see what could be done. This vet said there was a way to put the cat under with less risk, but the cost would be "about $350."
It involved tubing her so she could breathe through the operation. The resident could not afford that.

In fact, this cat, an indoor cat all her life, is 10 years old. As long as I've known her she goes into heat about 10 times a year. It is a miserable time for her and us too. As she gets older she has more and more peeing issues. She will go almost anywhere when in heat.

It is a tough call, but I would save and save and find a vet to safely spay your cat.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you don't 'relieve' her, her hormones will drive her nuts...So you need to get over your squeamishness and help her out.
Doodlebug, that's why I posted the question! It's not so much that I'm squeamish about it - although I'm still not too sure about the Q-tip deal yet - but what idea do you have? The Q-tip idea can't be the only one, I would think. I'm by myself with her, so whatever method I use, I need to be able to handle it alone. Not everything is so cut and dry to me. And I'm well aware of the dangers that lurk outside. And of course she cannot handle a pregnancy. I'm desparate; that's why I'm here. Maybe I should try another vet. I want the right answers, though, not just a variety of them. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I agree with Greenport... save so you can do it, even if it has to be a specialized vet and special equipment. Besides cutting down annoyances (for you and her), spaying also lessens chances of cancer in the "female" parts (usually mammary cancer and ovarian cancer).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will definitely get a second opinion on that. Thank you very much for sharing that experience with me. Maybe there's still hope yet. I just have to be as sure as I can be that it will be safe for her and her condition. :)

·
Super Moderator
18,394 Posts
Doodlebug, that's why I posted the question! It's not so much that I'm squeamish about it - although I'm still not too sure about the Q-tip deal yet - but what idea do you have? The Q-tip idea can't be the only one, I would think. I'm by myself with her, so whatever method I use, I need to be able to handle it alone. Not everything is so cut and dry to me. And I'm well aware of the dangers that lurk outside. And of course she cannot handle a pregnancy. I'm desparate; that's why I'm here. Maybe I should try another vet. I want the right answers, though, not just a variety of them. Thanks!
The q-tip method is the widely accepted method from what I understand. Tapping a pencil in the vaginal area doesn't seem like it would be effective. But don't take advice on this from online sources...talk to your vet about it. They can demonstrate the proper 'technique' for you. I would assume all it entails would be to put some vaseline on the q-tip and knowing how far to insert it (marking the q-tip would probably be a good idea) and the angle to insert it at.

Although, since your vet is the one who recommended the pencil, maybe talking to a different vet would be advisable.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I did have to use the Q-tip technique with a female who was too young to be bred and she was driving my stud cat nuts with her trilling and callling. Don't use vaseline or any lubrication, as she will be lubricated on her own. It's been many years since I did it, but I don't recall you have to insert the Qtip very far, maybe 1/2 inch or so, as the male penis isn't over an inch. The penis actually has backward-facing barbs on it, and that's what stimulates the female to ovulate, and for her to cry out in pain. Actually, as I recall I had to insert the Qtip a few times and several times a day. Females tend to come in heat for anywhere from 4-10 days' duration and can come in continually ever 2 wks. or less for months. Some will go out of heat for a few months and then come back in again. And yes they want to mark and spray when they're in heat. Mating takes them out of heat, but you certainly don't want that to happen with your girl. Females in heat can certainly drive you nuts, and bother other cats as well. Give us an update.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Although, since your vet is the one who recommended the pencil, maybe talking to a different vet would be advisable.
I'll be speaking with another vet today for sure, and I'll ask him about those techniques and if he thinks there's any way at all she can be spayed. I'll give an update when I talk to him. I need some good news! Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Catloverami,

Thanks for letting me know that. So it can be done and it work! I tried to get her in a position today, and she will not be still. She keeps scooting around and rolling over. How in the world do I keep her still enough to use the Q-tip? I don't have any help here! Can you give me some tips on how you did it? It would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Put her up on a table or bathroom counter. Grab her by the scruff of her neck with your hand, and hold her down. She will just tread with her hind feet with her bum raised, and you should be able to control her from rolling over, or sit on the floor and hold her between your legs to keep her from rolling while you're inserting the Q-tip but keep a firm grip on the back of her neck. Good luck!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Is there such a thing as marbling for a cat? I know with horses you are able to put a "marble" in the uterous that makes their bodies think they are pregnant and they will no longer go into heat. is there a procedure for cats like that?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Never heard of it for cats.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Is there such a thing as marbling for a cat? I know with horses you are able to put a "marble" in the uterous that makes their bodies think they are pregnant and they will no longer go into heat. is there a procedure for cats like that?
I think it is just cheaper to spay then to create an IUD for cats. The "marble" for horses (or the rock they would use for camels so they wouldn't get pregnant on a long nomadic journey) is basically an IUD. Another problem, camels and horses have uteruses similar to a human, a uterus made for 1 baby at a time, sometimes two. Cats and dogs have Y shaped uterus, like shown below, made for holding MANY babies. They can carry babies in the center and up in the "uterine horns". So it would be very likely that even if they did have an IUD that an embryo can implant elsewhere in the uterus.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts