Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitty has been have some constipation problems. She has neurological problems and we are addressing certain issues such as feeding canned food, adding fiber and she is back on lactulose. We may have to give an enema here at home first to get things "cleaned" out.

I work at an animal clinic and I'm on vacation this week. My boss had me take a fleet enema home. Well after doing research I've found that Fleet enemas are very dangerous for cats!!! :evil: Does anyone know any home remedies? Can I just use a small amount of water/soapy water? My boss demonstrated how to do an enema on my cat before I left for the work. Great vacation I'm having here huh? :?

I should also note that my cat isn't yet to the point of extreme discomfort. She is sleeping, eating and moving about. The last attempt she made at the litter box though produced no feces. I know of course not too wait to see the vet if she gets worse.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I use plain soapy warm water; 20-40 mls at most. Gee this does sound like a terrific vacation -- maybe you could get a group together and sell it at a package rate! :lol:

You can also try oral Vaseline; it has a mild laxative effect and helps a lot of these guys.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
So far I've avoided having to give Sabby a home enema. I sprinkle a little bit of psyllium powder on his food in the morning and give him some Laxatone (Sabby loves the tuna flavor) in the evening before bed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great! Thanks Dr. Jean, I thought soapy water was good but there is so little info. on the website about cat enemas....go figure? LOL

Yeah, only the best vacations for me! :roll: :lol: I'll call it Poops R' Us....maybe....

Thanks Annissa, the laxatone wasn't working so she is on lactulose. I'll try the psyllium powder. She is funny when it comes to canned food. I have to make it fairly watery and she licks it all the "gravy." I suppose this is good as the more moisture the better but she leaves the chunky parts of the cat food behind.

She's seems comfortable today. With 6 other cats it is sometimes impossible to recognize if she has pooped in the litter boxes! 8O

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I saw her try to go and nothing :( She doesn't really try very long though and doesn't act uncomforable.

Dr. Jean, are children's glycerin suppositories safe if the stool is plugged right at the end? Yes, I'm trying to avoid an enema as my husband isn't too thrilled about helping me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts