Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok.. really quick.. I did start wet food with the dry mix. I found the nutro pouches weren't to bad smelling. :)

Am I feeding the correct amount..

According the dry directions he should get 3/4 a cup a day, and according to the pouches he should get 3 a day. He weighs 8 pounds....

I am giving him 1/4 cup dry in the morning and 1 wet pouch (3oz) in the afternoon, and then another 1/4 cup dry at night. So 1/2 cup of dry and 3 oz of wet... is this right?

Thanks!!!! :D

·
Registered
676 Posts
With my gang, I often do not go by the feeding guidelines on a bag of food, that's just the way it works out for my gang.

As a rule of thumb, you can start off with what a particular food recommends and then adjust accordingly. Watch their weight, energy and general behavior as an indicator as to whether you are feeding enough or too much.

Most foods I come across recommend 1/2 a cup to 1 cup per day for each of my cats, they normally wind up getting the 1/2 a cup or less per day.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Geez, I had a 50-pound dog that did fine on 1 cup of food a day. 1/2 cup of dry will, by analogy, support about 25 pounds of cat (and cat food has more calories!).

I've posted about this a few times, so in the interests of time and my fingers, I'll just copy one of those here:

I approach diets differently, not by amounts. I think restricting amount of food is tricky and even dangerous because cats vary so much in their actual requirements. I recommend meal-feeding, since constant munching is not good for cats. They are hunters, designed to hunt, kill, eat, sleep, then a day or two later, go out hunting again. A feral cat might kill a mouse every day or two, and that's plenty.

I'd give more canned food, since the dry is what makes them overweight--with the vast overdose of carbohydrates present in all dry foods.

Generally, a good way to feed is to put down plenty of canned food and a little dry for 30-60 minutes in the morning and again at night. They'll figure out the schedule pretty quickly and eat what they need in the allotted time.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts