Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So both boys are on raw now, and doing really well with it--they're getting a whole variety of stuff and look fantastic, are active and alert, shiny coats, healthy teeth, etc.

I still worry, though, about the amount of Taurine the kitten is getting for heart and eye development. I know it's hard to measure the amount of Taurine in raw meat and I've read some really conflicting stuff about Taurine amounts. I'm considering getting a supplement to add to his food/both cats foods to be on the safe side.

Both cats are getting a mix of 1) raw, bone-in patties, ground mixed with 2) chunks of whatever is on sale at the grocery store (beef cubes, beef heart, pork, lamb, chicken, rabbit from the butcher). We also were donated some Nature's Variety Instinct raw frozen food that we have been feeding every few days and that is all balanced with supplement in, bone, etc. They get chicken wings and other things to chew. Both eating somewhere between 4 and 8 oz a day depending on appetite and activity level (the kitten sometimes gets several small meals a day as I find he eats more that way and Wicket we try to keep at 2 meals, 3 at the most).

Am I being a worry wart? I had a cat go blind from lack of taurine when I was young and I have been terrified of the kitten especially not getting what he needs to develop properly.

Help!

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
I'll defer to those more experienced but isn't heart chock full of Taurine? I'd say if they were getting any sort of heart on a regular basis they'd be getting enough...... or am I way off base?

Not to say the other meat isn't. I believe that the harder the working the muscle the higher the taurine content so wouldn't thighs, legs, heart and the like be plenty?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was curious so I emailed Dr. Pierson and here's what she thought:

I would supplement per my website. Better safe than sorry since taurine is lost in the grinding process.
I would feel more comfortable supplementing with ~150 mg/day on top of what they will get in their meat diet. It is a cheap and easy-to-implement practice.
Kind regards,
Dr. Pierson

1 - 5 of 5 Posts