Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post so please be gentle with me. It may be rather long but I do need advice. Last week we adopted a new kitten (named Rowdy) from a lady who was fixing to take him to the pound. We already have two other cats and two labs. We have a fairly large house but the 'rooms' have no doors so there was really no place to sequester the kitten while it adjusted. (It's an old beachhouse we've refurbished, we removed the inside doors years ago and intalled bamboo dividers.) Even so, I tried to create a Safe Place for the kitten by setting it's cat carrier (and food, water, litter) on high table inaccesable to the dogs. Well, the dogs were no problem. They immediately fell in love with it and he with them, and by the second day Rowdy was playing with them. They're very gentle with the kitten. The problem is Jellyfish, our four year old calico. Jellyfish is what might be called a Scaredy Cat, and she pretty much ignores the dogs. The kitten is now running all over the house, settling in very well. Jellyfish stays on one side of the house mostly, I suppose she considers it her private territory. She started hissing at the kitten immediately, but has, in the last couple of days, been more intent on watching it. Then last night Jellyfish started chasing him. I think Rowdy thinks it's a game with her, but I'm not so sure. She hasn't touched noses with Rowdy yet, and hasn't let him get closer than three feet to her. Someone is here in the house 24/7 and we're all monitering the situation, but I'm worried what might happen at night. Rowdy sleeps with my housemate, on the other side of the house from where Jellyfish and I sleep. Still, cats wander at night. Here's my question - When will I know that Jellyfish is finally accepting him, and how much longer do we have to keep vigil on their relationship? Thanks for your time reading this. I look forward to your comments. Regards, Max

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
The older cat is aware of the kitten now, and they are probally going to be alright, mine still hiss at each other after 6 yrs together, so that may or may not go away. I'd just suggest trying to get them both playing by using a string or something they like to chase. One will probally watch the other, and by the time your done, both will be tired to fight, and will slowly get used to seeing each other more frequently. Keep the claws clipped though, and seperate them right away if they start getting too angry or try to bite. Good luck, kittens are fun!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts