Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early this morning a town near where I live had several homes explode due to natural gas. They ended up evacuating the whole town.

20 displaced by Fairport Harbor gas fires, cause investigated

Fortunately nobody was hurt but the situation got me thinking and wondering what I would do if it was necessary to be evacuated from my home. Eight cats and two cat carriers just wouldn't work out. I think I may go and purchase several of those cardboard carriers just to have in case of an emergency. No way would I leave anyone behind!

·
Super Moderator
26,494 Posts
That's so scary, Sue!!

I got a gift card for Christmas and bought a new big carrier at Bed, Bath & Beyond like the other one I have. Two cats can fit in them, but I also have enough for each cat. Of course, in my case, that's only four.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
That would be a good idea. If 2 or 3 of them get along you can get a larger dog crate to put them in together. This could also help with storage cause you can put the smaller crates inside the larger one(s). I put both my boys in one crate, it seems to help them stay calm.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
That's such a scary thought.

We had a fire in my apartment complex this past summer (thankfully not my building) and I got to thinking about MowMow. They only had about 40 seconds to get out and there's no doubt it would take me a LOT longer to get mowmow's hard crate out of the closet and shove him in it.

I bought a large soft sided carrier and it's at the foot of the spare bed/bedroom. It has two huge pockets on either end and I put 2 cans of cat food in one and in the other I tossed a change of clothes and an envelopw with 80.00 for an emergency hotel room. I figure if need be I can grab him, stuff him inside, and make a break for it fast. I know :p I'm totally OCD and paranoid but ...I figure better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have two soft side carriers, one black on and one girly one. I had them both even when we had one cat, haha!! I also leave them out a lot so both of the cats are easy to get in them, so in a pinch we can go quickly.

MowMow, that is actually a great idea. I'm not liquid enough to spare $80 unless needed (I work for free), it is a good idea to prep a pet emergency kit just in case. I live in an apartment building too and instead of worrying about 2 people screwing up and burning down the building, I worry about 40 people.

·
Registered
709 Posts
We have a large dog crate that will fit all cats if necessary (as well as 3 smaller carriers).

I highly recommend a giant wire/plastic dog crate as a good emergency plan. We had a fire at our old apt building and altho it was heavier than a carrier each with one cat, we got all the cats out faster (with only two people to carry them!) in the large dog crate.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My sister volunteers for the Red Cross in CA and told me about a bad fire in an apartment complex where there were a lot of pets, mostly cats. A few jumped out of windows and many of them were grabbed by their owners. There was no time to grab a carrier.

If a fire happened at my apartment, I could most certainly grab Mimi. Caroline is soo difficult to catch on a normal day to put in a carrier to go to the vet. She doesn't like to be held or picked up. I pray that if an emergency did occur that God would allow me to get out safely with both cats.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
keep in mind for a true emergency situation, you have a cat carrier at hand, it called a pillow case, they won't like it, but you'll get them out and know were they are .. having at least one true carrier in easy access should be done by every reponsible pet owner..

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
If time allowed, you could carry cats out to your car and consider your car the carrier. It would work in a pinch. I've had thoughts about grabbing Murphy if there were a fire, but first you've got to find him! I think I would grab and take him out to my car, rather than getting out the carrier from the basement.

·
Registered
709 Posts
There was another member who said something like she had trained them to come when she shook a container of treats??

AC, I think. Anyhoo, my cats come if I turn on the tap and call out "DINNER TIME CATS!" - LOL.Two of the 5 even go into carriers to await their meals. Our plan is to actually get 3 more carriers and start feeding them in them so that if we HAD to - we could get them all to go wait for food in carriers, and start scooping them up. (feeding in carriers also AC's idea!)

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
keep in mind for a true emergency situation, you have a cat carrier at hand, it called a pillow case, they won't like it, but you'll get them out and know were they are .. having at least one true carrier in easy access should be done by every reponsible pet owner..
I think it would take me longer to shake my pillows out of the pillow case or rummage through the linen closet for an empty one than it would to stuff him in the carrier. :p

·
Registered
532 Posts
The fire alarm went off in my building once. I used a step stool, got the crate down, and shoved both cats and then and went out the building. Of course they were scared about it. But they were safe. I now keep the crate on the floor because Razzle used to sleep in there which will make it faster to get them in there.

Kathy

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
It would be easy to get Paizly in a carrier for an emergency....especially fire. Every autumn when we turn the furnace on for the first time, all the dust that has gathered starts to burn off... and she freaks out about the smell. Stands by the door and howls for me to let her escape the "danger". I already have the carrier by the door, so I would just nudge her in that direction.

Nebbie on the other hand...she hides and cowers when she's scared, and runs from me if she thinks there's a chance she'll get hurt. After almost 3 years, I think she's still sort of recovering from an abusive family... in the first 3 months, she wouldn't let me get within reach of her at all for any reason!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts