Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to show you guys this of my snail! While I was cleaning the 10gallon tank, my snail Sunshine was doing this:

For some reason, she only eats like that during a water change.

When I get my feature cat( I already found a couple of cats that I want to meet hopefully they are still there at the shelter), I'm sure I'll take a whole bunch of pictures.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Sunshine is a great name with that bright shell!

My mother had a salt water tank with this really cool snail. He would go over to this certain water jet thingy (I've never had fish so I am so inept at understanding all the components in their tanks lol) then he would have it propel him up high in the water and float down. He would do this over and over again, it was so amusing. Unfortunately their yellow tang ate the poor guy :(

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
What a cute little snail, and I love the name Sunshine! I always liked big snails in my smaller sized aquariums. They do a nice job of cleaning up. :)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Susan: I have three female platy's( One is a year old, the other one will be 10 month's tomorrow, and the other is 8 months), and two cory catfish. It's a 10 gallon. I have a another tank that is a 2 gallon hex with one betta name Miyavi. I was thinking upgrading the 2 gallon to a 5 gallon hex.

Hehe.. my mom chose the name. :) Yesterday I had the net in it going straight up and she was climbing on it. She kind of looked like a human that is climbing up a pole.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I had to smile at the thought of Sunshine climbing up the net!

I have a 20-gal tank with 2 guppies and 5 platys (plus a few more unexpected inhabitants, as I will explain in a minute). I know the 2 guppies are male, and I thought all of my platys were male, since that's what I asked for. But I think the store guy netted at least 1 female by mistake, because I now have babies...and I'm pretty sure that 5 male platys can't produce babies! :)

I specifically asked for all males, so I wouldn't have to deal with babies...sigh. So much for that idea. Still, the babies seem to be doing fine.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I must admit that I don't know much about fish species and their little quirks. I know that her tang also ate her star fish. He was an aggressive little guy :p

Konstargirl your snail seems like quite the little character!

Oh Susan, your tank and it's growing fish metropolis :) It is kind of amusing. Are the babies not being eaten?

We once had an individual call the shelter because someone dumped a fish tank overcrowded with baby fish onto their porch and they wanted to surrender it. I have never heard of that before. Does any place do the adoption of fish?

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Oh Susan, your tank and it's growing fish metropolis :) It is kind of amusing. Are the babies not being eaten?
I've no doubt some of the babies were eaten. I didn't see them born, so I wasn't counting...nor am I taking daily attendance! Still, I have some that are thriving. I really wish that I didn't have males and females, because fish are known for having babies...and this just creates problems with keeping the tank load at the right levels. Still, I don't see me surrendering my fish to a shelter! :)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol That's funny Susan. I hope the boys get along. XD I had 2 male platies in the past and they didn't get along.

Yup sunshine has some personality.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I worry about whether my cats get along, but I don't worry about whether my fish get along. When it comes to fish, I figure I'll just let them "work it out on their own"...no Feliway, no Rescue Remedy and no baby gates! :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
It might be the ''working it out on their own" method that got you babies lol. Perhaps you do need that baby gate :p

So I did a little looking around to sooth my curiosity and this was the only fishy friend I could find on Petfinder Petfinder Adoptable Fish | Goldfish | Washington, DC | Sam the Red Devil

I did find these rescues:
PDX Fish Guys - Oregon Freshwater / Saltwater / Reef Aquarium Fish Rescue & Sales
Jax Fish Rescue Inc

I didn't know there were fish rescues! I guess you learn something new every day.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Snails are the "clean-up crew"!
Yup! The big ones do a good job at cleaning up. I've only had one big snail, and the rest of my clean-up crew has been a variety cory catfish and different plecos (I love plecos so much!). The little snails that sometimes come in on live plants can be a bit of a bother though, since they start eating those plants once they start multiplying. :?

konstargirl - I love platies! They are the sweetest fish ever. My very first two turned out to be a breeding pair and I had babies all the time. They were named Onion and Garlic. XD I've had lots of platies since. Great little fish. :)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't know there were fish rescues! I guess you learn something new every day.
Gee I forgot all about this thread. lol

Anyway I didn't know there were some too. lol I know there are clubs and things, but I don't go to them. lol

@Time Bandit: I had babies all of the time. Now I don't see them anymore since I gave up my male platy long time ago. I like Cichilds. lol

@Susan: Mines don't.. She sleeps a lot. Only when I feed her. It's hard to feed her though because she won't eat her wafers at times..

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I like Cichilds. lol
Cichlids are fun, if you aren't dumb like me. XD My friend gave me some for that first tank I had with Onion and Garlic...and they were not friendly. I found out later they were Convicts, but by then the damage was done. My parents refused to get a second tank, and everything was eaten or killed by the Convicts. I was 8 at the time and I hated Cichlids because of it. :(

When I was in my early 20's I decided to try Cichlids again (yes it took that long XD) and I got a Yellow Lab and some assorted African ones. They fit in beautifully with my bigger and more species appropriate tanks. The Yellow Lab was amazingly friendly, and has become one of my favorite fishies. :)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha Aww!! My dad's girlfriend's son has African cichlids. They are pretty. One had a tumor. I think it died..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts