Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cat is a 9 month old tuxedo female. I just recently got her fixed about 1 month ago and shes got all of her shots. Shes starting to become very evil. If you saw my hands you would know what i mean. I dont even have to play with her and she will attack me and scratch me, and its not in a playful way. I think my cat wants to kill me sometimes, but other times shes sweet and nice blah blah but just now I tryed to hold her and she was meowing like she hated it and scratching and clawing. I dont know whats wrong with her. She also doesnt cover her crap in the litter box, whats up with that. How can i tame her and make her cover her crap?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Did you play with her with your hands when she was little? That teaches cats that hands were toys. Now that she's bigger and has more force behind it, you may be paying the price for teaching her a bad habit!

A cat who doesn't want to be held, *will* not be held. There's no use trying to force her to sit still or allow it, because it will only make her fearful of you. If she's afraid of you, she'll always be defensive. So, if she struggles, let her go. Don't force your attentions on her. Let her set the pace.

One of my cats was really bad about this, I couldn't pet her at all without her nailing me. It took 6 months of patient work with her to get her to quit. If she wouldn't take a whole stroke of petting, I gave her half. Each day a little more. Always watching her to see when she'd had enough. I think you may have to go back to square one with this girl because she has lost her trust. But Jackson may have some better suggestions for you, he's the behavior expert!

We have an article on petting-related aggression in our most recent (January 2004) newsletter, and one on play-related aggression coming up later this month; see the archives at http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=nlarchive. Or, sign up for the newsletter and have it delivered to your door...uh, I mean, desk! :)

On covering up her poop, some cats do, some cats don't. Is she your only cat? Sometimes this can be a territory thing, and sometimes another cat will either teach her to cover up, or do it for her!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have always played with Elli with my hands. How can I make her stop wanting to play with them? She knows im her daddy, she follows me everywhere but the times I want to hold her shes usually wanting to play or something. I have no others cats and she never covered her crap. Its getting old because I come home from school and it smells like crap in my room cause she wont cover it. Is their anyway to get her to cover it? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not a trust issue, because I can pet her when shes next to me and she wont attack, its just sometimes she attacks my hands and its really painful because now shes got much sharper teeth and all her claws, its no fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts